me is new to version control.... please help me :)

Started by
6 comments, last by markr 18 years, 8 months ago
Hello, I'm using subversion for my projects; And it's great for individual projects, but what about for controlling versions of individual files accross multiple workspaces (using Visual C++)?? For example: I have a file called "vector.h" that is used in 2 workspaces, A and B. I modify "vector.h" in workspace A, but workspace B has an old version of vector.h; How do i make it so workspace B can access an up to date version of "vector.h" without manually copying it over all the time? Please help :( Muncher
Advertisement
All you need:

http://www.nongnu.org/cvs/
Take a look at Version Control with Subversion a free book about Subversion. There's also some good links over at wikipedia.

[Edited by - Will F on September 5, 2005 1:55:00 AM]
thankyou for the help;

i am already using subversion; so why look at CVS? are there features in CVS that subversion does not have?

cheers 4 da links
Put it in a common library, so you would have 3 repositories: one for project A, one for Project B, and one for the common library.
- The trade-off between price and quality does not exist in Japan. Rather, the idea that high quality brings on cost reduction is widely accepted.-- Tajima & Matsubara
ahhh, you mean like a dll or a .lib?
If so, would you recommend one above the other?
You don't even need to go with DLL or lib files, provided it's just a header (or a collection of headers), you can simply stick those in the common folder, and add that as an include directory for both projects, and boom, you're set. On the other hand, if the vector and whatever else you use with both of the projects uses a .cpp file as well as headers, you might want to compile it as a static library instead, to avoid the ahssle of having to manually add the .cpp file to every project that uses it.
Free speech for the living, dead men tell no tales,Your laughing finger will never point again...Omerta!Sing for me now!
Only commit a single copy of vector.h, and use it in both projects.

Set up your build environment so that both projects look in a common directory for common includes (i.e. headers)

Mark

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement