rpg design

Started by
9 comments, last by ishpeck 18 years, 7 months ago
Quote:Original post by namingway
I'll be covering a few different topics in this one so i can get opinions on multiple rpg aspects.
Firstly :-
I'm working on an rpg and wondering what sort of battle system to implement.
It will be one of the following;
:Tactical: - move your party accross the battlefield and defeat all opponents or complete "mission goal"

:Real Time: - If you see a monster walking around the forest you can attack it straight away - party members will be AI controlled

:Turn Based Battle Mode: Much like the final fantasies.

:Fighting game style: Like tales of destiny where you control the character in a street fighter view and your party are AI controlled.

Which of the above in your opinion is the best for an RPG and/or suggest styles you've seen in games which you enjoy.

Turn-based strategy games (like Civil War Generals) have always had a bit of an allure to me. Mix that kind of fighting with RPGesque stuff and you have a right-thoroughly interesting gameplay mechanic.

Also: If your game requires any sort of "healing potions" for it to be playable, you have failed your saving throw versus "imitate Final Fantasy."

-----------------"Building a game is the fine art of crafting an elegant, sophisticated machine and then carefully calculating exactly how to throw explosive, tar-covered wrenches into the machine to botch-up the works."http://www.ishpeck.net/

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement