Getting Linux

Started by
23 comments, last by Eken 18 years, 7 months ago
Where can I download some versions of Linux? I need mostly to operate with Java in a Unix environment for University; I have an extra comp at home I want to put Linux on and begin programming with that as to allow me to get ahead and keep up with the Linux knowledge I so desire. Any help would be appreciated. I need to multiboot the OS with a Win ME OS.
Advertisement
Fedora Core 4 can be downloaded from here.
Ubuntu Linux is currently the most popular distro, known for its user friendliness and "it just works" slogan.

Mandriva Linux (formerly Mandrakelinux) is another very popular distro, combining (IMO) user-friendliness with customizability. And its installer is graphical.

Gentoo Linux is the ultimate hardcore Linux guru's Linux. Don't download until you have a lot of experience using Linux. It's the distro I use.

Cheers,
Twilight Dragon
{[JohnE, Chief Architect and Senior Programmer, Twilight Dragon Media{[+++{GCC/MinGW}+++{Code::Blocks IDE}+++{wxWidgets Cross-Platform Native UI Framework}+++
If you just want it to work, try Fedora Core, or peharps better, try Debian.

Gentoo is WAY too hard-core. Just getting and installing a windowing system (emerge gnome) will take you ten hours. That's assuming you have a fast machine. Also, the benefits of having everything from source are somewhat over-rated -- the source ebuild scripts aren't really updated any faster than binary RPM packages are. (That being said, I'm on Gentoo, and don't really have much incentive to move away once I'm there...)
enum Bool { True, False, FileNotFound };
Okay...
I'm x86 right? or i386? I don't know how to check...

Fedora seems to only come with a 64-bit version of x86, althought it mentions a 32-bit version in its release notes I cannot find it.

Ubuntu 5.04 (Breeze) does not have any x86 versions.

I assume most standard comps are i386 right?

Edit:
Okay research shows I'm probably i386 since Im using a P4 2.8ghz.
Quote:Original post by Halsafar
Okay...
I'm x86 right? or i386? I don't know how to check...

Fedora seems to only come with a 64-bit version of x86, althought it mentions a 32-bit version in its release notes I cannot find it.

Ubuntu 5.04 (Breeze) does not have any x86 versions.

I assume most standard comps are x86 right?

A i386 is an x86 (any ix86 is an x86, hence the name "x86"). The most common computers are x86s and PPCs (such as Macs).
So a P4 2.8ghz would be i386?
Quote:Original post by Halsafar
So a P4 2.8ghz would be i386?

Probably a i586 or i686, but that's still an x86.
So when I am downloading and they provide a i386 and a x86 download which one should I choose?

Quote:Original post by BBB
Or Slackware, which is good for learning but not too hard.
Its stable and doesn't install annoying stuff like
a display-manager that restarts the X-server when you kill it
and alot of "services" that you don't need, like for example
Ubuntu does.

you can disable this by editing your inittab

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement