Oh No ! Another Newb ! (Cell Phone Gaming)

Started by
5 comments, last by Are286 18 years, 7 months ago
Hello, Before I even begin, I will say that I read through your entire forum, including the "Don't Slay The Newbs" which made me laugh real hard. It's amazing how the same issues come up in every forum for every aspect of life. I thank you in advance for sharing information and helping me. Any kind of response is great, even if it's a link to an older thread or a webpage somewhere. Info. Need the info. My name is John, and I have been programming C++ and doing web development for 10 years now. I am well familliar with most technologies. A multimedia company approached me to design and implement a simple cellphone application (game) that when you start it and while you play it, it exchanges information between the user (the input he gives) and the server (returns the next screen of data). Something like a normal website flow, only the client is a user that gets a screen with graphics and data and buttons which represent his selection. I have it all laid out and I have a strong grasp of the application. I have the server application done and written. It accepts XML file as input and sends XML back as result.Right now I am in the point where I have to get my hands dirty. So- I read all about BREW, and it's expensive compiler... Is there a cheeper way to simulate a cell phone interacting with a web application ? Writing the C++ code and the entire client side app is no probs. just making it cell phone compatible is nothing I have an idea about .... Also, is this model of cellphone client sending and receiving information WHILE the application is running (is this UDP ???) existing or the technology hasn't been written yet ? I do not require super-fast upload time like showing the next sprite of the racing course. I'll be exchanging a gif and some text per tranaction so no hurry. If you got this far in reading, I bless you with zero errors on your code. If you can give me some answers I bless your applications to be the most amazing and the next big thing to hit the market :-) Thank you very much ! John
Advertisement
You could use J2ME/MIDP, but note that different phones will allow different technologies (e.g. on my phone I can use J2ME apps, but not BREW apps, so I haven't started to learn brew [smile]). That's all I've got to offer really, cause I just started learning to program for my cell phone a little over a week ago. [smile]
Thanx Mattman - I kinda knew what you wrote, but thanx for the time and effort !
I have a folowup question -
Which platform can I use to load a game to the phone without the carier ?
Can I have some sort of webspace the cellphone knows to connect to and download the game from ?
thanx !

With BREW you need to be a registered developer to get the applications on the phone. They give you a developer's phone and a cable so you can test your apps.

J2ME is completely open all you need is a J2ME supporting phone and an account with internet access.

For J2ME start here.
The Wireless Toolkit.
Installing apps through the web.
MIDP 1.0 newtorking.

Quote:
even if it's a link to an older thread

an older thread.

shmoove
Quote:Original post by Are286
Which platform can I use to load a game to the phone without the carier ?
Can I have some sort of webspace the cellphone knows to connect to and download the game from ?

You can use a data cable to download for both BREW and J2ME without a carrier. Don't know about dowloading OTA (Over The Air) with BREW.
Quote:Original post by Are286 Something like a normal website flow... Is there a cheeper way to simulate a cell phone interacting with a web application
I strongly recommend you look into using the phone's WAP browser first, using WML and WAP site technology. It sounds like this may be good enough for what you want, and it will save you all the trouble of developing BREW or J2ME networked applications.
Thanks a bunch guys. I will check all the link and erad through before I'll post another followup question I already see I have ....
Just want to say THANX

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement