Finding Games

Started by
8 comments, last by Twitch 23 years, 4 months ago
I am a bording school, with a LAN. We have had some problems because of how the LAN is setup, so we can''t find games that are hosted outside of the building that we are in (there are 7 buildings that have students living in them). So anyway, I need to know the protocols for getting game information in various games(Half-Life, Quakes, GTAs, Need for Speeds), or how I could find them out, so I can write a program that is similar to gamespy, except it will be only local to my school, so we can see if anyone is playing games. Any help is appreicated. twitch
twitch
Advertisement
Are you sure you are not blocked behind a firewall? If that is the case you will have to poke some holes in it to connect to the "outside" world.

LostLogicwww.GamerOutfit.comXBox 360 Community Games Reviews and NewsExisled - 2D/3D Shooter for XBox 360

That not what I need, I don''t quit know what the network setup, I just know that we have a 10base on campus, and a T3 to off campus. What I want to do is find games outside of the building, I need a to write a program for that.

What I need help with is how to figure out the protocols that are used to quiery game information, such as how many players are in the game, and the map that is playing.

twitch
twitch
You shouldn''t have to "figure out" the protocols... generally they are documented (somewhere). I did a Google search for "Quake server protocol" and found this page:

http://www.activesw.com/people/steve/qstatdoc.html

However I''m not sure I get what you''re trying to do... you''re saying there are game servers being run by other people on your LAN (but outside your building), and you want to query them? I guess you already know the IPs of these games, right?
WHat I was going to do was ether use a web site that you can DL a db of the IPs that are registered for playing games, or I could get a cheap box and put it on an unused port

twitch
twitch
WHat I was going to do was ether use a web site that you can DL a db of the IPs that are registered for playing games, or I could get a cheap box and put it on an unused lan port and use that a server that keeps track of the games that are playing

twitch

Edited by - Twitch on December 18, 2000 9:03:37 AM
twitch
The reason you can''t find games outside your building is probably due to one of two reasons, depending on the networking protocol used.

If its IPX, then the other buildings are on thier own segments, and broadcast do not travel across segments (ie you can''t play Doom with them)

If its IP, then they''re in different subnets, and subnet broadcast are only set to thoses in the subnet.

Not sure if its even possible to find out if/what games are running in a different subnet or segment. With IP you could check every ip address on the subnets to see if its hosting a session... with IPX I think you''re entirely boned.
- The trade-off between price and quality does not exist in Japan. Rather, the idea that high quality brings on cost reduction is widely accepted.-- Tajima & Matsubara
If you can connected to the other computers from school, and have the ability to use the command line, type:

Route

You''ll see the entire ''routing'' network for TCP/IP. You can also use Route Add to make 1.2.3.4 point to building 2...

Almar
Thanks for all the help, but most of it isn''t what I need. I have no control over the network, I can''t change anything other than single computers, so I need to do a database that has a list of people that are in the club, then with those dns names I can check if those games are running and give the user some details.

What I need is specs for popular games like Half-Life, Starcarft, Quake 3, and anything else that get played on the net. Where would the best place to look for this be?

twitch
twitch
Thanks for all the help, but most of it isn''t what I need. I have no control over the network, I can''t change anything other than single computers, so I need to do a database that has a list of people that are in the club, then with those dns names I can check if those games are running and give the user some details.

What I need is specs for popular games like Half-Life, Starcarft, Quake 3, and anything else that get played on the net. Where would the best place to look for this be?

twitch
twitch

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement