Status Tables

Started by
5 comments, last by Siolis 18 years, 7 months ago
I’ve reached the point of working on the stats for my RPG and im having trouble trying to work out how they work. I have a list of basic stats and derived sub stats which exist to be boosted by spells and to represent individual functions thus far. For example, the Strength stat has Physical Attack Power Physical Defence and Physical Stun Recovery Time as sub stats. What I’m trying to do now is come up with a stat base to work from so i can make up some reasonable spell costs. Problem is, I don’t have a levelling system, instead you gain stats depending on how many upgrades you’ve learned which are basically abilities such as being able to cast attack spells, mine etc split into physical and magical classes and then of course there’s weapons and armour. Any who, what i guess i need is to know how other stat tables have been made, if you have designed a game or are building stat tables please share you thoughts on their construction. Siolis
RPG: I'm going to rewrite this genre even if it kills me.
Advertisement
[Realism rant]

Okay, so it won't be that much of a realism rant. But when I generally try and come up with stat tables or even what stats a game should use, I generally consider what CAN be done by players in the game. Then I do my damnedest to try and think of what exact skills would be requisite to perform that action.

Such as, for example, swinging a sword. In most systems, strength is the sole applicator for swinging your sword, but since most fights can last an indefinite amount of time, if you factor in stamina to slowly make the player grow tired as well as dexterity for determining their accuracy and blocking percentages, a decreasing stamina could also affect these attributes as well. The "Death Spiral" as it's been called can be a good idea, as long as it's done right.

Anyway, that would be my suggestion, think of what you want to do, then think of what exactly would go into doing that action, then your skill tables will come naturally.

My two cents,

Vopisk
Quote:Original post by Vopisk
[Realism rant]

Okay, so it won't be that much of a realism rant. But when I generally try and come up with stat tables or even what stats a game should use, I generally consider what CAN be done by players in the game. Then I do my damnedest to try and think of what exact skills would be requisite to perform that action.

Such as, for example, swinging a sword. In most systems, strength is the sole applicator for swinging your sword, but since most fights can last an indefinite amount of time, if you factor in stamina to slowly make the player grow tired as well as dexterity for determining their accuracy and blocking percentages, a decreasing stamina could also affect these attributes as well. The "Death Spiral" as it's been called can be a good idea, as long as it's done right.

Anyway, that would be my suggestion, think of what you want to do, then think of what exactly would go into doing that action, then your skill tables will come naturally.

My two cents,

Vopisk

Thanks for your input and i have decided maybe my current accuracy stat could be changed to "Dexterity" instead as it makes more sense, however its not skill tables I’m working on, its stat tables. The problem I’m having is deciding how much each stat should be at max and min and how much should be applied to weapons to make them useable.

Siolis
Quote:Original post by Siolis
[Realism rant]

My two cents,

Vopisk

Thanks for your input and i have decided maybe my current accuracy stat could be changed to "Dexterity" instead as it makes more sense, however its not skill tables I’m working on, its stat tables. The problem I’m having is deciding how much each stat should be at max and min and how much should be applied to weapons to make them useable.

Siolis

It would seem to me, that the max amount for your stats is really a matter of fine tuning how detailed and in-depth you want to be. If your game is an all-out dash for "levels, skills, whatever" then, you probably are better off sticking with an easy rounded integer, 20-tier system. Perhaps even less? However, if you're looking for a bit more depth to your character progression, you could make stats doubles or floats and use the decimal to make some fuzzy logic decisions as to whether or not they succeed or just give them high amounts of progressable steps, so that there is enough of a change to notice the improvement when "upgrading" your character, but not overly much so or too little that the player becomes bored quickly and splits.

I suppose it's the fine line betweeen love and hate, success and failure that every game developer has to walk. Tweaking and balancing your game can be a long and difficult, nail-biting procedure. However, I would suggest you throw something out like a 20-tier system (stats progress from 1 - 20) and once you get everything up and running with that system, you can feel free to stretch the limits here and there as needed.

More of my two cents,

Vopisk
Quote:Original post by Siolis
[Realism rant]

My two cents,

Vopisk

Siolis

It would seem to me, that the max amount for your stats is really a matter of fine tuning how detailed and in-depth you want to be. If your game is an all-out dash for "levels, skills, whatever" then, you probably are better off sticking with an easy rounded integer, 20-tier system. Perhaps even less? However, if you're looking for a bit more depth to your character progression, you could make stats doubles or floats and use the decimal to make some fuzzy logic decisions as to whether or not they succeed or just give them high amounts of progressable steps, so that there is enough of a change to notice the improvement when "upgrading" your character, but not overly much so or too little that the player becomes bored quickly and splits.

I suppose it's the fine line betweeen love and hate, success and failure that every game developer has to walk. Tweaking and balancing your game can be a long and difficult, nail-biting procedure. However, I would suggest you throw something out like a 20-tier system (stats progress from 1 - 20) and once you get everything up and running with that system, you can feel free to stretch the limits here and there as needed.

More of my two cents,

Vopisk

No offence intended hear cus I’m sure your information is valid and it is interesting but that doesn’t help me at all. Me thinks me needs to rewrite my problem.

Siolis
I don't take offense, but I find it hard to be any more specific without knowing the details of your system. Basically it boils down to a 1-(x) system for all stats. 1 would obviously be the lowest amount of the given stat anyone could possibly have (it is impossible to drop below this point), and (x) would be obviously the other end of the spectrum or the "Max Stat" (it is impossible to go above this point without the aid of magical affects).

As far as weapons and things go, think of how heavy any given object is and then find a good place for it along the scale of 1-(x). I.E. a 500lbs. Entertainment center would be all but impossible for someone with 3 Strength to lift or manipulate in any way, but maybe someone with 15 strength could do it easily. This is the point where my rant about the fine line of "balancing" comes into play, there's no be-all, end-all solution for this problem, the only way to do it is to get as close as you possibly can and then play the game to find out what makes sense, what doesn't and what is overly easy and perhaps immpossibly difficult. Balance. It always comes back to balance. Anyway, if I'm still not helping, I don't know what more to offer, good luck anyway!

Vopisk
I don't take offense, but I find it hard to be any more specific without knowing the details of your system. Basically it boils down to a 1-(x) system for all stats. 1 would obviously be the lowest amount of the given stat anyone could possibly have (it is impossible to drop below this point), and (x) would be obviously the other end of the spectrum or the "Max Stat" (it is impossible to go above this point without the aid of magical affects).

As far as weapons and things go, think of how heavy any given object is and then find a good place for it along the scale of 1-(x). I.E. a 500lbs. Entertainment center would be all but impossible for someone with 3 Strength to lift or manipulate in any way, but maybe someone with 15 strength could do it easily. This is the point where my rant about the fine line of "balancing" comes into play, there's no be-all, end-all solution for this problem, the only way to do it is to get as close as you possibly can and then play the game to find out what makes sense, what doesn't and what is overly easy and perhaps immpossibly difficult. Balance. It always comes back to balance. Anyway, if I'm still not helping, I don't know what more to offer, good luck anyway!

Vopisk

Nope, you raised two good points, firstly yeah, i need to rewrite my problem cus me thinks it doesn’t make sense at the moment to get the answers I’m after and secondly, my system doesn’t have a max stat, however maybe it should because it would be a little hard to believe that strength isn’t limited in any way at all, the problem is though that people can make up their own skills and abilities and those give you stat points ergo if you can make any number of skills and abilities using spell/skill/ability constructors and they give you stats then you would have an unending stat development system which wouldn’t make sense because at some point a persons strength/agility/accuracy/stamina is going to be increased to its possible max because the biological organism can grow no further...unless of course your talking magical beings like humanoid dragons (which i have btw) then they might have unlimited growth but...i don’t know.

Ill think about it for a while...

Siolis

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement