Firefox memory leak in windows fixed?

Started by
18 comments, last by spock 18 years, 7 months ago
Quote:Original post by Vampyre_Dark
Yes, FF seems to cache everything until you close it. It's not really been a problem for me, just restart it after awhile. By the way, FF is at 1.07 now, you might want to upgrade. There have been several security fixes.

After running for an hour or so, it also seems to enjoy caching the entire internet. I assume that's why it starts requesting memory at a rate of about 512K second, until you to have to end-task it.

I still prefer it to IE though.
Advertisement
A little offtopic, but Opera is not better. Yesterday, after only 1 day of surfing, it was taking 185 MB. I have 1.2 Gb of RAM, so it didn't really make adifference, but still..
FF was taking 'only' about 125 MB after one day, visiting about the same sites.
Little feedback on my progress. I installed flashblock FF extension after upgrading FF to 1.0.7 latest version. After browsing gamespot I experienced two random crashes so I uninstalled flashblock. Been browsing since and everything is ok. Pages load faster, no sluggish gui issues or memory problems like I had before. For people who wonder, after installing new FF version, all my settings and bookmarks were kept. The only thing I noticed was version number change.
Firefox certainly has a big memory footprint but I don't think I've ever seen it use 100 megabytes or more on my computer. Usually its working set is around 80-90 megs after browsing for a while (that's 1.5 beta, the stable versions about half of that).

Seems like everyone else are complaining about Firefox memory leaks. I must be doing something wrong. [smile]

[Edited by - spock on September 23, 2005 9:11:27 PM]
well I just tried an experiement.

My normal browser is opera. I have 13 tabs open at the moment, each with long back histories (that pop up instantly when you click back) - some pages go back ~40 pages, probably average of 20 history pages each tab (saved sessions over many days).
It's using just over 50mb of ram, 50mb of virtual memory.

I opened up firefox 1.5, and opened up all the same pages in tabs (remember, no histories), and it used up 70mb ram, 60mb virtual memory.
Opening up the last few pages was quite noticably slower, and scrolling on the last page was probably about 15fps, so not all that quick (given it was mostly text only). At the same time, opera shows no sign of any performance hit. Scrolling that page in firefox generates nearly 100% cpu usage (for approx 15fps) where in opera its still extremly smooth, and around 30-40% cpu.

I really cannot fault opera. For a free browser, it beats the pants off anything else out there.

As for security, if you look at secunia, you will see that of late IE has actually not had many problems found. Firefox, on average, has been getting a higher number of problems found per-month than IE overall (which is a concern). Just three days ago they added a new one that allowed executing linux shell scripts through dogdy urls. Opera on the other hand has seen fewer, but more importantly has far less high risk problems, and historically has had patches to fix the problems out extremly quickly (there are no known bugs unfixed in opera for example, yet there are a number in FF, and countless in IE). No doubt with increased usage people will find holes, but when it comes down to it, careful browsing practises should keep you safe.
Quote:Original post by RipTorn
For a free browser, it beats the pants off anything else out there.

Refering to Opera as a free browser is perhaps a little unfair. It was only just recently that it stopped being a for cost browser. A few months from now, maybe.
Quote:Original post by RipTorn
As for security, if you look at secunia, you will see that of late IE has actually not had many problems found. Firefox, on average, has been getting a higher number of problems found per-month than IE overall (which is a concern). Just three days ago they added a new one that allowed executing linux shell scripts through dogdy urls. Opera on the other hand has seen fewer, but more importantly has far less high risk problems, and historically has had patches to fix the problems out extremly quickly (there are no known bugs unfixed in opera for example, yet there are a number in FF, and countless in IE). No doubt with increased usage people will find holes, but when it comes down to it, careful browsing practises should keep you safe.

You spend half a paragraph saying how great Opera's security is, then point out that everything you've just said is pointless, and then counter that with an argument that applies equally well to both IE and Firefox? My brain hurts.

CM
I was stating facts from the secunia page, and adding the required 'take with a grain of salt' comment at the end. Sorry if it didn't come out very clear.

And opera has been free for a long time, just you had an ad banner / google ad block. I used opera like this for several years until recently when they gave it away on their birthday (I was actually going to buy it through their student discount system a few days later, which is sortof ironic).
What do you all do for ad blocking when it comes to the O? I put a huge list (which I obtained on the Internets) into my filter.ini file, but it hardly compares to Adblock. And is there anything that I can do to make Opera feel more like Firefox? I love the speediness, but I'm so used to the quirks of Firefox. (Mainly the feel of tabs.)
There are not many options out there for adblock with opera unfortunatly. There is a couple of low level plugins that require quite a lot of work to install them (I personally decided not to try these after reading the install instructions), and there is a 3rd party self-installing plugin, but I found that it effected operas performance a bit (however a version 2 is comming soon).
What I simply do is disable gif animations, and keep a 'enable plugins' button right next to the address bar. So why ads are still there, they download quick and arn't so annoying, and the site still gets revenue.

As for simulating FF quirks, wouldn't have a clue. I havn't used FF as my primary browser for quite a while, and now only have it for compatibility testing. I went from O7 -> FF -> O8 and I'd say I'm happier back with opera. Just all the nice little touches.
If there's a great browser out there I haven't seen it yet.

Firefox is flexible and renders pages well but has a number of annoying bugs and significant performance problems, even without any of the slow and leaky extensions installed. Firefox is my main browser of choice right now because I can work around or live with most of its flaws.

Internet Explorer feels much faster in most cases, but that's pretty much its only advantage. I don't trust it for casual browsing with default settings, and I've found it to be virtually unusable if you lock it down. I had to manually alter the executable to keep it from constantly complaining about ActiveX being disabled, for example. It blatantly breaks even the most basic web standards, making it a pain to develop for.

I haven't used Opera much, partly because I didn't think it was worth the price but mostly because I ran into serious bugs every time I tried it. For some reason all recent versions of Opera hate my site, hanging on it. Now that it's free I'm willing to experiment with Opera a bit more, but my impression of it so far isn't very favourable.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement