Trouble with SDL keyboard movement

Started by
12 comments, last by The Rug 18 years, 6 months ago
update(); ?
Advertisement
Yeah update();! In that you can have all the action going on including key presses, quitting, stuff like that.
-----------------------------....::::DRAGON BALL Z::::....C<<"+"<<"+"; // Go C++ !!!-----------------------------
I'll try to do that, but it seems like it will make it more difficult
Hmmm, I have to make this quick but I think the posters above missed the bit about not moving (forgive me if I'm wrong!) or I've read wrong!

The paddle isn't moving because you're re-initialising the variables every time the function is called:

void Paddle1(){     // These variables won't retain their values between function calls!     // You certainly don't need to load the bitmap every funcion call, so have     // the variable "bitmap" in global scope, and call SDL_LoadBMP before you     // enter the game loop     SDL_Surface*bitmap=SDL_LoadBMP("paddle.bmp");          // This could remain here, because this doesn't change between calls     SDL_Rect source;     source.x = 0;     source.y = 1;     source.w = 25;     source.h = 100;          // This should be in global scope- re-initialising it every time means     // it will be drawn in the same place every time!     SDL_Rect dest;     dest.x = 75;     dest.y = 50;     dest.w = 75;     dest.h = 50;          // This blit call is OK ...     SDL_BlitSurface(bitmap, &source, SDL_GetVideoSurface(), &dest);     // This should be called only once per frame- after the 2 paddles and the     // ball have been updated and drawn     SDL_Flip(SDL_GetVideoSurface());          //MOVE}

This is roughly what I'd do: (no compiler to check it though, so I've probably messed up somewhere [grin])

#include "SDL/SDL.h"const int WINDOW_WIDTH = 800;const int WINDOW_HEIGHT = 600;const char* WINDOW_TITLE = "SDL Start";SDL_Event event;bool gamerunning = true;// The first paddle's position     SDL_Rect paddle1Dest;paddle1Dest.x = 75;paddle1Dest.y = 50;paddle1Dest.w = 75;paddle1Dest.h = 50;// The first paddle's imageSDL_Surface* paddle1Bitmap;void Paddle1(){     //DRAW     SDL_Rect source;     source.x = 0;     source.y = 1;     source.w = 25;     source.h = 100;          SDL_BlitSurface(bitmap, &source, SDL_GetVideoSurface(), &paddle1Dest);     //MOVE}void Game(){    // Draw everything here     Paddle1();     // THEN flip the video surface     SDL_Flip(SDL_GetVideoSurface());}void Init(){   SDL_Init( SDL_INIT_VIDEO );   SDL_Surface* screen = SDL_SetVideoMode( WINDOW_WIDTH, WINDOW_HEIGHT, 0,       SDL_HWSURFACE | SDL_DOUBLEBUF );   SDL_WM_SetCaption( WINDOW_TITLE, 0 );    SDL_Event event;   // Load the paddle's image into paddle1Bitmap   paddle1Bitmap=SDL_LoadBMP("paddle.bmp");   while (gamerunning)   {      if (SDL_PollEvent(&event))      {         Game();         if (event.type == SDL_QUIT)         {            gamerunning = false;         }         if (event.type == SDL_KEYDOWN)         {            SDLKey keyPressed = event.key.keysym.sym;                  switch (keyPressed)            {               case SDLK_ESCAPE:                  gamerunning = false;                  break;            }         }      }    }   SDL_Quit();}int main(int argc, char **argv){   Init();   return 0;}

OK hopefully that helps, I'm in a rush to catch a train though, so I'll check back later.
the rug - funpowered.com

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement