Keyloggers and Password Edit Boxes

Started by
25 comments, last by Daggett 18 years, 6 months ago
Quote:Original post by markr
It should be noted that someone doesn't need admin/root to steal your passwords - if they have access to your normal user account they can still trojan your desktop applications and obtain web passwords, passwords to other systems etc.

Mark

True, though the original post was regarding school/common machines, which would require admin/root to install the logger so that it survived between sessions.

Advertisement
Use Direct Input?
I've got a faint memory of someone mentioning that system wide keyboard hooks doesn't trap Direct Input keys.
Use Direct Input?
I've got a faint memory of someone mentioning that system wide keyboard hooks doesn't trap Direct Input keys.
Quote:

are you sure about that? I'd think it wouldn't matter.
use the system banks use for online banking:
A randomly generated list of numbered single-use passwords. Upon login you are asked to enter a one specific password randomly chosen by the host.

Immune to key-loggers and pretty much anything else.

I don't know any software that supports that authentication scheme though...
Quote:Original post by daerid
Might I ask what the point of an encrypted self-decrypting executable is?

I think its a way to prevent hacking of the exe. It at least makes the program make absolutely no sense if you decompile it to assembly, and it makes it more difficult to change instructions.
Quote:Original post by bjle
Quote:Original post by daerid
Might I ask what the point of an encrypted self-decrypting executable is?

I think its a way to prevent hacking of the exe. It at least makes the program make absolutely no sense if you decompile it to assembly, and it makes it more difficult to change instructions.

You could just decompile it while it's actually running, a la SoftICE.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement