Game artist's preference?

Started by
4 comments, last by Jarrod1937 18 years, 5 months ago
Sorry for asking this question (its probably been asked a million times before, but I despise "search" functions on forums!) Anyway, as far as 3D game modelling/animation is concerned (rather than really high-res photoreal stuff), which is/are the most popular software package(s)? Thanks.
Advertisement
3D Studio would undoubtabley be the most popular. Probably then something like Maya or Lightwave.

I use Truespace.

Raen.
Animation package: Alias Motionbuilder
Modelling: All the big pakages has basically the same modelling tools, So choosing between Maya, Lightwave, 3d Studio and SoftImage is just a matter of workflow. For game market I've would have to go with Maya simple because it has a great API which it's easy to build custom content and Exporters.

/ Christoffer Nyberg
/ Christoffer Nyberg( www.christoffernyberg.com )
i prefer 3ds max but as the rest said above most of the major ones have all of the same tools. although if you get 3ds max 7 character studio comes packaged with it. 3ds max works for both high and low-res modeling and also has a ton of freeware plugins for it. but in the end its your choice.
-------------------------Only a fool claims himself an expert
thanks,

- I have played around with a very old version of 3ds max (3.1) and also the latest maya PLE (7), but I found maya to be really strange/un-intuitive compared to max. - Is the latest version of max similar?

Also, is there a "learning edition" of 3ds max? I dont exactly want to go forking out large sums of money just to try it
well 3ds max 7 is like 3 but much more improved and has an even more simplified interface, go here to download a 30-day trial demo of 3ds max 8. i use 7 so i don't know much about 8, but i assume they wouldn't have changed much. you might want to look for a version of 7 if you ever want to buy 3ds max because a lot of the game engine plugins out there only work for max 7 and back. trial link;

http://nct.digitalriver.com/fulfill/0049.034
-------------------------Only a fool claims himself an expert

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement