C++ or C# for demo applications w/ UI...

Started by
2 comments, last by Doggan 18 years, 5 months ago
I am going to be creating some small demo applications that require user-interfaces. My language choices are C++ or C#. I've been interested in learning C# for a while, and this seems like a good opportunity (I already know Java, but do not wish to use it for this project). I have heard C# is more 'application friendly' than C++. I will be needing widgets such as buttons, radio buttons, check boxes, scroll bars, and display windows. I will also need a library for XML reading/writing. I will need to do some primitive 2-D rendering of points/lines (OpenGL?). The most straightforward choice for me is obviously C++. With MSVC++, the resource system will allow me to easily create and manage my widgets. I am familar with C++ XML libraries. And I can just use OpenGL for rendering. My question: Is there any reason for me to even consider C# for this project, other than the fact that I'm interested in learning it? Will it be more of a headache than it's worth? Remember, this is a relatively small project... So the obvious language superiorties of C# over C++ (memory management, exceptions, etc) aren't really valid. Thanks!
Advertisement
For the most part it's easier to do user interface elements with C#, and you always have the option to package the guts of your application as a C++ DLL that you call from C# if you find something that you don't know how to do in C#. GDI+ with C# can be used to basic graphics, so you don't need to embed GL.
Check out wxWidgets for C++. Ever since I discovered this, I never wanna use VB or similar again! (Except maybe for web development). It also uses your windows skins and its cross platform, so make it in windows and compile it and run it under linux kinda thing. Its also like Java which has a huge library of stuff to use like image manipulation, XML, HTML, Network sockets, etc.

It takes a while to get used to but its documentation is excellent. Also theres wxDevCpp that has a form designer that works with wxWidgets.
"Take delight in the Lord and He will give you your heart's desires" - Psalm 37:4My Blog
Thanks for the replies. I've taken the C# approach. The integration into .NET is making this very easy. Visually creating the UI with Windows Forms is straightforward, and the documentation is vast. IntelliSense isn't working correctly for the C# IDE, though.. but that seems to be my only problem ;)

Edit: Does anyone know why IntelliSense is borked for C#? When I attempt to use a member function of some class, (or any time I use the '.' operator), it gives me this as my only option for autocomplete: (yes it's really /that/ long)

??U?????????????????????U???????????????????????????????????????U??????????????????????????????????????????????????p????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????Ç????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????Ç???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????? ??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????@?????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????s???

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement