skybox woes (looks flat)

Started by
5 comments, last by SelethD 18 years, 5 months ago
I just finished my skybox, threw some quick space textures on it, and went for a test drive. And it just looks flat. When I rotate, i can tell if im looking directly in the center of a 'wall' or at the corners because of how the image looks. My skybox is an inwardly facing cube I tried a small size (radius 1.0) just enough to cover the view, then I tried a larger size (radius 10.0) and there was really no noticeable difference. So how can I get it to look like it has more depth ? How do the pros do this, and make it look so real? btw, my skybox, stays centered on the camera, so when I move, it moves with me. Thanks
Advertisement
Use textures that are made to be used on a skybox. Check this link: http://www.scentednectar.com/skyboxes/
Im converting the file format of a set right now to test, but Im working on a space game, any sets like that of space?

Thanks
Well, its hard to tell if the texture did the trick, there are lines along each edge where the pictures meet, so it kind of ruins the illusion. I think when I resized them, it might have made the lines, who knows. Anyway, It seems to have depth now, so perhaps its the texture.

How does the texture make a difference? Is it because of how the image is warped, like stretched at the edges, and more normal in the center?
Is there a program that can do this for skyboxes?
Or is there a pre made space set of skybox textures?

Anyone know?

The lines on the edges is an issue I still struggle with (note that I haven't really spent much time trying to fix it either)

However, the trick to making skyboxes look correct is to create the images using a camera (virtual or real) that has a 90 degree field of view.

I haven't made any really cool skyboxes. But when I try, I use Blender and mess with Blender's camera object to give it a 90 degree field of view.
To fix the lines around the edge you need to set your texture wrapping mode to GL_CLAMP_TO_EDGE. ie.

glTexParameterf(GL_TEXTURE_2D, GL_TEXTURE_WRAP_S, GL_CLAMP_TO_EDGE);glTexParameterf(GL_TEXTURE_2D, GL_TEXTURE_WRAP_T, GL_CLAMP_TO_EDGE);

Use terragen for creating the 6 views needed for a good skybox.
Heres a tutorial.

hth
F451
ok, ill look into using blender, see if i cant get it to look correct

thanks

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement