One Week/One Button 2 Winners: Trapper Zoid and scgrn

Started by
587 comments, last by d000hg 18 years, 4 months ago
I have 2 questions:

Are you allowed to use the mouse for a menu at the start of the game, and the mouse and keyboard for another options menu? Its not directly involved with gameplay, so I think it's allowed but I just want to be sure.

Also, are you allowed more than 1 entry?

EDIT: I went to the link and realized the answer to one of my questions was there.
-Chris
Advertisement
Where exactly is the theme going to be announced? And is the time using daily light savings or universal? (i.e. what is it in EST)
Quote:Original post by Ravuya
It's sort of hard to start making a game without having the theme of it known beforehand; most of the work would probably be getting the technology up and running, which is more or less amortized by me allowing previously-used engines and game makers.

Let me be the first to admit that I had to go to dictionary.com to find out what amortized meant. I needs to get me back to english class.
--------
Whoisdoingthis.com - my stupid website about warning labels.
Quote:Original post by ChemicalImbalance
It's sort of hard to start making a game without having the theme of it known beforehand; most of the work would probably be getting the technology up and running, which is more or less amortized by me allowing previously-used engines and game makers.

Let me be the first to admit that I had to go to dictionary.com to find out what amortized meant. I needs to get me back to english class.

Same here [embarrass]
Quote:Original post by Michalson
Where exactly is the theme going to be announced? And is the time using daily light savings or universal? (i.e. what is it in EST)

I don't think GMT follows the daylight savings standard. I believe EST is GMT-5... I'm on MST so it'll be at about 4 PM local time that I'll be announcing the theme, through the link at the top of the webpage.

Edit: I'm not sure if I'm going to be home for the announcement, so I've set up a little script to change the webpage on time. [grin]
Quote:Original post by Michalson

I don't think GMT follows the daylight savings standard. I believe EST is GMT-5... I'm on MST so it'll be at about 4 PM local time that I'll be announcing the theme, on the webpage.

I'm not exactly sure on how North American time-zones work relative to Australian EST, especially with the changing daylight savings seasons, but I always like to reference The World Clock when figuring out world time (I suppose MST is Montreal Standard Time?)

Of course, since I can't really work on my game until Tuesday anyway, it doesn't really matter from my perspective which hour you announce the theme [wink].
GMT doesn't have daylight savings. In the summer, we in the UK stop being in GMT and switch to GMT+1.
But Now daylight saving has finished, GMT == EST + 5. So the contest starts at 7pm on Sunday for you EST'ers.

I am right thinking I can use ANY third-party libraries which I have licenses for, and ANY existing code/resources I already have right?
Does that mean that I could enter an existing gasme I have if I can figure out a way to make it use a single button (tricky), and would I be penalised for this?

And does 'one button' mean it has to always be the same button, or may I use the 'press any key' methodology (apart from the exit key)? How about changing which button you have to use during the game as part of the gameplay itself?

Thanks.

[Edited by - d000hg on November 11, 2005 6:22:18 AM]
Quote:Original post by d000hg
GMT doesn't have daylight savings. In the summer, we in the UK stop being in GMT and switch to GMT+1.
But Now daylight saving has finished, GMT == EST + 5. So the contest starts at 7pm on Sunday for you EST'ers.

I am right thinking I can use ANY third-party libraries which I have licenses for, and ANY existing code/resources I already have right?
Does that mean that I could enter an existing gasme I have if I can figure out a way to make it use a single button (tricky), and would I be penalised for this?

And does 'one button' mean it has to always be the same button, or may I use the 'press any key' methodology (apart from the exit key)? How about changing which button you have to use during the game as part of the gameplay itself?

Thanks.

And yes, you can use any 3rd party libraries and code/resources and hell, even complete games if you can figure out a way to make it 1 button.

I think you can map any key on the keyboard to the same action, but I don't think changing the key would be acceptable under the rules.
You page says the contest will start on "November 13 at 0:01 GMT", but the one-word theme won't be announced until "November 13 at 23:01 GMT".

How can you possibily start working on it before the theme is announced? I assume one of those times is wrong...
Quote:Original post by Mattman
You page says the contest will start on "November 13 at 0:01 GMT", but the one-word theme won't be announced until "November 13 at 23:01 GMT".

How can you possibily start working on it before the theme is announced? I assume one of those times is wrong...

Yeah... I was actually about to fix that. [grin]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement