[web] Webhosts...

Started by
4 comments, last by CJM 18 years, 5 months ago
Hey, A couple of quick things, I posted here rather than the Web Dev forum because I didn't think it was so much to do with development. If any mods think that it's more belonging there, feel free to move it. Secondly, I know this question gets asked heaps, but I have a particular spin that isn't in other posts, and is the sort of thing that's a bitch to search for - because 99% of Australian based webhosts are an order of magnitude more expensive than _all_ non-Australian based ones. Question: I'm looking for some good hosting that's available within Australia. Not hosted here nessecarily, but 1Portfolio, 1and1 and the like generally say somewhere that their service is only available to US/UK/Canada citizens. I'm looking for something as cheap as possible that offers 0) their services to Australians... a) =>5 email accounts on the domain, b) a decent upgrade path, c) an alright amount of bandwidth/diskspace (min 1 gigabyte/200megs) in that order. The bases that I'm looking to beat are the minimal plans on: dreamhost - I think it was simagery who posted this one. one in australia - if for some reason dreamhost only deals with certain countries. Or I could even look at the budget package there. Ideally, I'd like something like what 1Portfolio offers, with an annual fee of $7.99 for 5 email accounts, and 250mb/5gb monthly transfer. Thanks in advance, --CJM
Advertisement
www.lunarpages.com

I use them, they are good. afaik they offer service to anywhere that paypal does.
Thanks.

I'll certainly have to check them out, they seem pretty good value for what you get.

--CJM
A stern warning about LunarPages: http://www.diagnose-me.com/sucks/lunarpages.html.

Their advertising is very deceptive--Their high bandwidth allowance per month is not real. Their terms of use say that if you slow their servers down, you will be booted. People have reported being booted with as little as 5 GB bandwidth a month.

I signed up with WebMasters.com. They're not super-cheap, but they're pretty good (about $10/month), and they've treated me extremely well so far. Their control panel for shared hosting is WAY better than what I've found elsewhere. So I recommend them highly.

LunarPages.com works terrific if you have only HTML pages, but if you have any scripts (especially ones that send emails), you'd better be ready to have them modified or deleted without notice.

~BenDilts( void );
I used Find My Hosting to find a host. They have good options and lots of results. I don't think you can limit it by region but you will find someone who will provide a service to Australia, I am sure.
Thanks everyone,

I think that I'm going to go with the australian bunch that I put up in my original post, but on one of their lower plans, mainly because I'm primarily using email, and they take non-credit-card/non-paypal payment.

--CJM

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement