List of Level Design Ideas?

Started by
13 comments, last by d000hg 18 years, 5 months ago
Ok well since I dont know your story, how about something like..

The old town communication station hasnt been used since World War II. It was maintainted by the nearby Army base but sealed off from the general public and is only known to the locals as "the old army communication post".

Then you have your player tasked with destroying this communication station before the locals break in and try sending an emergency cry for help.

Obviously you want some sort of AI locals trying to get to the comm base before the player does, so if they do then the player loses. Else if you plant epxlosive charged and blow up the comm station before the locals are able to reach the comm station then mission success.

But then again, in reality you would have most people fleeing. So how can you blow up the comm station AND Stop the villagers from fleeing I have no idea. This is where you start to get a "corny" game feel.

Maybe you could have a team working with you, your task (destroy the comm base), your teams task (seal the roads and deploy infrared helicopters to pick up any locals who may have hiked out on foot into the woods).

As far as designing the actual level, obviously a comm base outside the city with a small town with only a few routes out of it to make a beleivable story that your team could actually seal the town.

Dont know if this is the information your looking for.
Advertisement
Those ideas are pretty good. I'll print them out. :)

I found a resource a while back that helps you create RPG Plots. There are lots of them on the internet. What I was hoping for was something similar for creating areas to make them fun and interesting to play.

I was playing Avernium 3 recently and noticed he does something different for each area. In one area there is a bridge controlled by monsters. In another area there is a boss monster with lots of minions that retreats out of visual range and heals itself when its health gets too low. Another area is full of land mines. So I was hoping there might be something similar to the RPG plots I mentioned above, but for making areas.

If I had something like this, I could break my "writers block" and stop putting things off. :)
"I am a pitbull on the pantleg of opportunity."George W. Bush
Have you already planned out the storyline and level settings for your game? If you could list them for us we might be able to come up with some ideas to go around them.

e.g.

Level 1 - Town Square - just got into town, looks normal, bustling with people...no wait a minute, they're all zombies, arghh, kill them all!

Level 2 - Car Factory / showroom - need to get some space between us and the zombies, maybe we'll be able to find something in that car showroom where a giant boss monster has made its home. Oh look, how lucky there's a fork-lift truck / 4x4 / wrecking ball / construction machinery in here to help.

etc.

Tim Cooper - software developer, project manager and occasional iOS app developer.

Creative Shadows Ltd - My hobby company website

The game has already been made, so I’m looking for the easiest way to improve it. Here's a description of the demo area.

Area 1
When you start the game you're an Agent working for MJ-12, AKA The Majority Group. You are ordered to report to the commander of a secret underground base run by MJ-12. When you arrive at the base you walk around the corridors and are given a tutorial on how to play the game. When you speak to the commander a light flashes on his console and he tells you there has been a breach in alien containment. When you get there, some aliens have broken out of their cages and have killed everyone in the room. When you've killed the aliens, you’re told to report to the commander again and he tells you the base has been sabotaged and he wants you to track down the saboteur. When you have found and killed the saboteur, you are given your mission.

The mission is to travel to another underground base they have lost contact with and destroy its surface level. MJ-12 has already tried to take the base back and suffered heavy losses in its depths. So now they are sending you along with a smaller team of Blue Berets to destroy the surface level where the communications array is. It is hoped the destruction of the base's communications will blind hostile forces operating in the forest surrounding the base and the town. Note: MJ-12 cannot destroy the base with nukes, because it houses many alien artefacts they have collected over the years.

Area 2:
Your team travels to the second base, but a beam weapon shoots down your helicopter. You and one Blue Beret survive the crash. There is a small town and a river between you and the base and your first task is to enter the town, resupply and continue your mission. When you arrive at the town you see a group of refugees just outside the town. There is an electric fence preventing access to the town and what appear to be government agents guarding the entrance. When you approach the refugees they ask for help with some wild dog attacks. If you approach the agents they tell you the area is quarantined and to leave, or they'll use deadly force. If you help the refugees with their dog problem, zombies attack while you’re gone. If you approach the agents again they'll kill you. If you track the zombies, you'll find their base in the woods. If you kill the zombie boss, the refugees will help you fight the government agents and you'll be able to enter the town. If you examine the corpses of the government agents, you'll find they are automatons constructed from human body parts.

Area 1 and 2 is the demo area. One suggestion I've been given is for Area 1. I was told to make the first base overrun by aliens when you arrive. There are dead bodies everywhere and you have to kill the aliens and find the base commander who then gives you your mission.

I am also planning to get rid of the helicopter crash in area 2 and make the town and base surrounded by an alien energy shield. You are transported through the shield using an experimental one-use machine and you can then continue your mission.

Note:
I need to go from Area 1 to Area 2 and then to the town, as much of the game occurs in the town.
"I am a pitbull on the pantleg of opportunity."George W. Bush
Quote:Original post by Servant of the Lord
It all depends on the type of game. World war two games won't have a wizard fall from the sky or zombies come from the ground....someone should have a world war two like that in retrospect.
Like the creepy Doctor Who episode (new series not the old ones) where the people started turning into 'zombies'? Imagine the scariness of being in trenches when zombies start turning up!
Sorry, continue your discussion...

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement