List of Level Design Ideas?

Started by
13 comments, last by d000hg 18 years, 5 months ago
I was wondering if there is a list of general ideas for level designs on the net? If there is could someone point me to it. As usual I'm having a mental block and I need something that will get me started.
"I am a pitbull on the pantleg of opportunity."George W. Bush
Advertisement
A list of level designs? No, it seems unlikely. The design of a level would only have meaning within the context of the particular game. It's like asking for "a list of ideas for what the guy should be saying in the second panel". However, there is this.
First-Person Shooter Level Name Generator

The questions you have to answer may help, as well as the names it generates

There are also quite a few good articles on how to approach the task on gamasutra.com but I'm guessing that you just want ideas for actual levels.
Sneftel:
www.gamediscovery.com is an interesting site. I've never heard of it before.

First-Person Shooter Level Name Generator:
I used something similar to this when I created my RPG. Unfortunately some of the levels are pretty dull.

What I'm after is a grand list of elements or puzzles people have used in past games. Then I could use it to mix and match and come up with my own.
For example a bridge with the powerful monster and a mysterious button is a good one. Or chasing down a convoy before it leaves an area.

It all depends on the type of game. World war two games won't have a wizard fall from the sky or zombies come from the ground....someone should have a world war two like that in retrospect.
If you can give some hints as to the genre and story of your game it will help.
My game is an Men In Black/X-Files type of game. There are aliens, humans turned into zombies and other types of monsters created by the aliens. The player works for a secret goverment organisation that was created to battle the aliens and keep the knowledge of their existence from the public. In this game, a government base and a nearby town has been overrun by (formerly captured) aliens. The player is sent to destroy the part of the base that's responsible for communications. Of course the mission doesn't go according to plan.

Seems like if your player is in charge of trying to keep the mutants secret, the gig is up when an ENTIRE TOWN is overran with them... DOH!

And you know I had to say something because I dont really enjoy games that say "go kill the communications station before somebody gets the word out" when in reality an actual emergency like that the communication station would of already relayed an emergency message.

And it compounds as being ridiculous when it takes you 15 minutes to battle through the level and reach the comm station and then scratching your head how the guy sitting in the chair in front of the Radio never decides to send out an SOS.

Please dont make corny games like that.

Anon:
What you've described isn't the story of my game. It was very creative though. :)

The main problem my game has is boring level design, so I want to figure out how to make this part better if possible.
I don't think there is something quite as general as 'basic level designs'. To make your game work well with your story it would be best to design your levels and level ideas around what happens in the story. Cliches aren't that good, but if you want to use them then that's fine. I hope you have plenty of boss battles :P.

A few ideas, not sure if they work within the context of your game - but here they are.

A huge alien has escaped and is smashing it's way through buildings. You are behind it and need follow it and get infront of it. Something needs to be blown up to crush it. Water tower?

One of the people living in the town knows about a hidden maze of mineshafts, you need to find him and then travel through the mines (that are infested with aliens) to a destination.

A supervisor on the end of a radio is a great way to communicate what needs to be done, just don't make it annoying. At the end 'they' (pentagon, government) decide to blow the whole place up, but because it functions like a bomb shelter you need to get inside to plant the nuke. Have to get out etc.

The game ends with a shot of a part of an alien moving itself away from the explosion (getting away, room for sequel etc.)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement