[java] Compilers, It's sick!

Started by
69 comments, last by King of Men 18 years, 5 months ago
Is "J2SE development kit" the same that "Java development kit"?
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by Abibbi

Yes, and no. It depends on the version.

Sun has 3 versions of Java, Standard (formally J2SE, now JavaSE), Enterprise (formally J2EE, now JavaEE), and mobile (formally J2ME, now JavaME). Each has their own Development Kit, consisting of the tools and libraries necessary for development on each version. You will want the JavaSE (or J2SE) version for typical Java development.
www.aidanwalsh(.net)(.info)
Which do you use?

Thanks alot!
Albert
Quote:Original post by aidan_walsh

Don't make him confused. He already looks like excuse why swedes ... ... ... xxx You know...

I wonder if he tried to use it before he asked, or if he is doing the same mistake as Stalin did.
Quote:Original post by Raghar
Quote:Original post by aidan_walsh

Don't make him confused. He already looks like excuse why swedes ... ... ... xxx You know...

I wonder if he tried to use it before he asked, or if he is doing the same mistake as Stalin did.

I don't understand a word... looks like excuse why swedes... xxx ... WTF?
And to which of Stalin's mistakes do you refer?
Which do you use?

Thanks alot!
Albert

Ask yourself what you want to do.
You use
1) JavaSE for general Java development on desktop computers.
2) JavaEE if you want to write enterprise applications that use database transactions, large scale distibuted multi-tier application or certain web services (that typically involve some kind of database connectivity).
3) JavaME for embedded devices such as mobile phones, PDAs, ...

If you just want to get started with Java programming, JavaSE is the SDK you want to use.
In a somewhat similar vein (and maybe this should be in the FAQ?) are there any Java compilers out there that will give you native code for Windows? I am aware of several excellent ones for Linux, and the JET compiler, which strictly speaking doesn't produce real native code, but just bundles its own version of a JVM with your code. Besides, the full version costs real money. Is anyone aware of a good, free, truly-native, compiler for Windows?
To win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill.
Quote:Original post by Konfusius
Quote:Original post by Raghar

I don't understand a word... looks like excuse why swedes... xxx ... WTF?
And to which of Stalin's mistakes do you refer?

Nuclear bomb research. He preffered not something better, but theirs own invention of a device looking exactly like the device US used on nagasaki.

BTW I did't used WTF, and filling the ... might be against forum rules. (You never listened any joke about Swedes?)
Quote:Original post by King of Men
In a somewhat similar vein (and maybe this should be in the FAQ?) are there any Java compilers out there that will give you native code for Windows? I am aware of several excellent ones for Linux, and the JET compiler, which strictly speaking doesn't produce real native code, but just bundles its own version of a JVM with your code. Besides, the full version costs real money. Is anyone aware of a good, free, truly-native, compiler for Windows?

1. JET. mature (IIRC it could create full exe code with a reduced JIT compiler added. You need it for compilation of source code that was generated at runtime, and for other tasks.)

2. GJC. works badly.

3. You could create your own version. But it would be highly likely slower than hotspot server in JVM 5.0.6 (The reason why nobody is too much into it.) Not to mention you wouldn't be able to use the same file under windoze, linux, and MAC.

Windows might be deprecated, and 32 bit code would have problems. (Simillar to curent 16 bit code problems.)
If you need a spash screen, 2 hours with assembly would create both 32 bit and 64 bit edition of a launcher.
Which do you use?

Thanks alot!
Albert

Obviously Java SE, with JOGL, JOAL, my libraries, and LWJGL. IDE for my programs is jEdit, and for quick and dirty programs Eclipse.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement