Hammer Engine v0.3

Started by
15 comments, last by sepul 18 years, 4 months ago
Hmm, I tried running it and it just showed a black screen and appears to be frozen. (i.e. the mouse is an hourglass and I can't do anything). I figured maybe it was just taking a long time to load resources, but when I go to the task manager, it shows 0% CPU utilization so it seems to be just sitting there doing nothing...

I got a 2.4 ghz P4, radeon 9800 pro 128mb, 512 mb ram if that helps

roos
Advertisement
Quote:wow good engine would you let people make games with it?

yeah, I'm planning to do that after I guess 2 or 3 more updates, the physics/collision system, simple AI and scripting, particle system and editor enhancements must be completed in order to be fully functional engine, right now, it is more of an rendering engine than a game engine.

Quote:The cylinder splits if you move far away as you get closer it goes back to being a cylinder

actually, it is not a bug, it's the LOD system that reduces the triangles of the mesh and the default ranges for LOD levels are a little low right now, I guess this happens when you get about 8 meters away from the cylinder, I must higher the ranges. I also have to do something for lower poly meshes to have better LOD. if you get very far from one of the kicking guys, you'll see there polys get reduced too, but this is not very notibable cuz they are so far from the viewer.

Quote:I’m not sure how I done this but a charged at the cylinder and ended up out of the level I done the same thing when I was messing around on the roof .

this happens on some other areas on the map, like I said before, the collision detection which I implmented sucks, and suffers from imprecisions, I will fix that on the next release by integrating a physics engine.

Quote: I tried running it and it just showed a black screen and appears to be frozen

this one was big :-) I don't know how this happens, but I'll find someone who has an ATI card and work on it.

anyway, thanks for the tests and the screen shots, I'll fix them on the next release

dark-hammer engine - http://www.hmrengine.com

Looks great.
Quote:
Original post by sepul
anyway I wanted to know how does this demo work on ATI cards, has anyone tested with any ATI cards ?

Just ran it on my ATI Radeon XPress 200 Series card. Ran very smoothly, no jumps or anything. I really like your collision detection. The only thing I noticed was once I went through a wall, not all the way, just partially so I could see outside, but I couldn't actually go outside. I couldn't recreate it, though so I'm not going to worry about it. If you are wooried about it, though, I can let you know where it happened and all the details, just ask. Overall I'd say very impressive. Good job and keep up the good work.

-AJ
V/R,-AJThere are 10 kinds of people in the world: Those who understand binary and those who don't...
Quote:Original post by sepul
...good to see other iranians doing these kind of stuff.

Hehe, indeed :)

Btw, I saw on your web page that you had done a Persian text-to-speech, is there a demo of this available to the public? Sounded quite interesting, would be cool to try it out if possible.

Also loved your concept art stuff, really funny :D

Regards,
/Omid
Best regards, Omid
Very cool. It ran very well on my ATI 9600XT. A few comments though... I definately noticed some artifacts where I could see the skybox through the edges of some of the walls. In the stairway going down there are some stair shadows on the walls that I don't think should be there. Also when I turned the light sources on... they are very particular about where you stand... alot of the time they would not show up in less I was in a certain spot... which was usually a good ways away from the light which sort of defeated the point of knowing where it was : )

All in all very nice though. Look forward to when you have the physics working (I too got launched to nowhere).
The cheese stands alone.
Quote: definately noticed some artifacts where I could see the skybox through the edges of some of the walls

yeah, this happens on my intel card too, but NOT on nVidia cards, this problem is really wierd, and happens on the splitting planes of the bsp, I even welded the vertices. so there must not be any "near" vertices to cause imprecision.

I would be glad if someone could give me any hint on this ?!!!

Quote:Also when I turned the light sources on... they are very particular about where you stand... alot of the time they would not show up in less I was in a certain spot

this is actually a debugging mode for light culling algorithm, when you turn that option on, you will only see the lights that are being processed in the current frame, not the lights that are in the scene

<thanks for the comments>

dark-hammer engine - http://www.hmrengine.com

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement