Which school is better?(fullsail vs Guildhall)

Started by
17 comments, last by brent_chua 18 years, 5 months ago
Im a freshman at Digipen. I took alot of initiative before coming here to learn c++ and 2d game programming in allegro. Basically, almost all of the people that go here dont know anything there first year (I was dissapointed that nobody really wanted to make games like I did). Someone mentioned ID software by another school, well within 2 miles of Digipen is: Bungie,Valve, Monolith, others I dont know yet. Not to mention the top guys get hired into Nintendo by the owner of Digipen, and the whole town is owned by Microsoft. I will say tho, that people are dropping/failing like crazy and I dont understand why. There was a game made by 2 people called "narbicular drop", if u want to check that game out, it got picked up by Valve and they hired the two kids to remake it.

NBA2K, Madden, Maneater, Killing Floor, Sims http://www.pawlowskipinball.com/pinballeternal

Advertisement
Here's some of the formentioned negative buzz concerning Fullsail. Most of the reviews aren't given by people who studied under their game development program, but they still make me a bit wary of the school.
Both schools (all game development schools for that matter) are relatively new, so don't expect too many well-informed opinions. You will need to rely on your own research.
John BoltonLocomotive Games (THQ)Current Project: Destroy All Humans (Wii). IN STORES NOW!
Quote:Original post by dpadam450
Im a freshman at Digipen. I took alot of initiative before coming here to learn c++ and 2d game programming in allegro. Basically, almost all of the people that go here dont know anything there first year (I was dissapointed that nobody really wanted to make games like I did). Someone mentioned ID software by another school, well within 2 miles of Digipen is: Bungie,Valve, Monolith, others I dont know yet. Not to mention the top guys get hired into Nintendo by the owner of Digipen, and the whole town is owned by Microsoft. I will say tho, that people are dropping/failing like crazy and I dont understand why. There was a game made by 2 people called "narbicular drop", if u want to check that game out, it got picked up by Valve and they hired the two kids to remake it.

The majority of people fail out because they don't realize how much work is involved in creating a game. Their impressions as gamers is, "Oh, this isn't hard. I can make this." Once they get into school and the work load starts to pile up, they can't handle it. It's sad really, since they take up the chairs that could have been filled by people that really wanted to be there.
Quote:Original post by Dorvo
Quote:Original post by dpadam450
Im a freshman at Digipen. ... Basically, almost all of the people that go here dont know anything there first year (I was dissapointed that nobody really wanted to make games like I did). ... I will say tho, that people are dropping/failing like crazy and I dont understand why.

The majority of people fail out because they don't realize how much work is involved in creating a game. Their impressions as gamers is, "Oh, this isn't hard. I can make this." Once they get into school and the work load starts to pile up, they can't handle it. It's sad really, since they take up the chairs that could have been filled by people that really wanted to be there.

That's why at big schools, the first year classes are held in stadium-like halls and taught by student TAs. They *know* most of them are going to drop, so you might as well herd them in like cattle and use cheap labor to weed out the slackers.

frob.
Quote:That's why at big schools, the first year classes are held in stadium-like halls and taught by student TAs. They *know* most of them are going to drop, so you might as well herd them in like cattle and use cheap labor to weed out the slackers.

Heh.

What's cool about UCF here in Orlando is that they have what they call the "Foundation Exam", which is fairly straightforward lower-level CS and some discreet math stuff. About 66% of the students fail it the first time and it seriously weeds out the dead weight.
Wow.Cool!

Thanks to all of you guys..... After hearing all this stuff and more name crushing testimonials I think i'll switch to Guildhall. :)

I need quality education no matter how hard it is,I don't care.Rather than all show offs and money talks.

Thanks again to all of you!!!!! :D
Just curious, why did you not speculate about UAT (www.uat.edu)?

I'm a current student there and can definitely see some weak points. But like mentioned before, the idea of a school teaching game programming is very new. And UAT makes it very easy to be part of the revision process.

I have spoken to deans and had teachers come to me regarding changes to the curriculum. I have witnessed numerous improvements.

And the school has an extremely close relationship to the industry.
First our school has had 2 GameCube dev kits for quite some time now. Sure that's not so cool now that the next generation of consoles are coming out, but from what I hear we have several new dev kits on the way.
Second we host TechForum several times a year in which industry people come to give speeches and see what the students are up to. These people are not paid to do this.

I believe I read claim that Guildhall has many industry people working there. I'm not sure that's true (but again, I don't attend there). From what I saw in their advertisements parts of the curriculum were designed by those people. They do not work there.

Like I said, UAT has it's share of problems too. But I don't know why you would not consider them. Is there anything in particular that I should know about? `,:o)

Good luck with your future.

EDIT: Spelling error.
ohh.Sorry ProgramMax.But this schools are the ones who caught my eyes up.

But it doesnt mean I dont care anymore of the other schools out there(besides i still got 3 years to decide lol).

Any school that anyone would like to recommend that he/she thinks that it would be much better compared to the schools that i've mentioned would be great if anyone would like to share. :D

Thanks! ^_^

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement