Wow, Americans are against climate talks?

Started by
102 comments, last by LessBread 18 years, 4 months ago
Quote:Original post by Spoonbender
How do you know that absolutely nothing would be done about it? Kinda impressive foresight. Why haven't your government hired you to predict the future already?
I know I'm grasping at straws here, but maybe, if the coutry responsible for 25% of the greenhouse emissions actually pretended to show a bit of interest in its own damn planet, there might actually be something done about it.
Apart from this, there's been a lot done about "it" without the US already. The Kyoto protocol is up and running, just to name one example.

Christ, you have issues, you know that? It is called cynicism based on my living in America and having had grown up in its political system. It has nothing to due with being psychic. You realize how retarded of a statement that is to say? I know that nothing would have been done about it because lets see here, we didn't even bother to send anyone! I know this is some really complicated almost "psychic" logic here, but basing an assumption that if we had sent someone that nothing would have been done off of the fact that the political parties in control decided to not even bother sending anyone kinda seems to be a logical deduction to me.

Quote:That's not true.
That hurricanes tend to follow this cycle is true, and that it's peaking again around now is true, but that doesn't mean that nothing else could possibly have contributed. If you have proof of that, I suggest you publicize it in a scientific forum. Because in addition to the cushy government job you secured above, this could very well give you a nobel prize.

Brilliant. You rebutted my absolute statement with an absolute statement yourself. [rolleyes] I also like how you deduced that I implied that there were absolutely no other contributing factors, even though I never said so. It is amazing how people get so worked up over blatantly facetious statements. I also love how I was rated down based on some silly political statements on the forums and you know, not based off of say contributions I make in the Visual Arts forum. I guess I'm in a bad mood at the moment, but posts like this just make me stop and think WTF!?
laziness is the foundation of efficiency | www.AdrianWalker.info | Adventures in Game Production | @zer0wolf - Twitter
Advertisement
I think we should let earth rot and just move to mars.

But when I say 'we move to mars' I really mean just rich white christian americans.

...and do not wildly extrapolate. Just because Saddam Hussein gassed Kurds in 1990 doesn't mean he eats babies' brains.
Quote:Original post by zer0wolf
I also love how I was rated down based on some silly political statements on the forums and you know, not based off of say contributions I make in the Visual Arts forum. I guess I'm in a bad mood at the moment, but posts like this just make me stop and think WTF!?

Stay away from the lounge. Especially threads that can somehow be related to politics.
The worst thing you can do is get mad about ratings. Take it in stride. Nobody loves you, and society owes you NOTHING! NOTHING YOU HEAR! If you want to prove yourself, join the real gdnet...you have to fight a bear for admission.
...and do not wildly extrapolate. Just because Saddam Hussein gassed Kurds in 1990 doesn't mean he eats babies' brains.
Quote:Original post by tthibault
The worst thing you can do is get mad about ratings. Take it in stride. Nobody loves you, and society owes you NOTHING! NOTHING YOU HEAR! If you want to prove yourself, join the real gdnet...you have to fight a bear for admission.

The first rule of Real GDNet is, you do not talk about Real GDNet.
The second rule of Real GDNet is, you do not talk about Real GDNet.
Quote:Original post by Pouya
Why would you still go against reducing the greenhouse effects if you were the one who is suffering from it the most?

Who exactly is 'you'?
According to this article in the Guardian, Water, water, everywhere, as far as stemming the rising sea level goes it's too late.

Quote:
Global warming is doubling the rate of sea level rise around the world, but attempts to stop it by cutting back on greenhouse gas emissions are likely to be futile, leading researchers warned last week.

The oceans will rise nearly half a metre by the end of the century, forcing coastlines back by hundreds of metres, the researchers claim. Scientists believe the acceleration is caused mainly by the surge in greenhouse gas emissions produced by the development of industry and introduction of fossil fuel burning.
According to Prof Miller, there is little chance of slowing the rising tide caused by global warming. "There's not much one can do about sea level rise. It's clear that even if we strictly obeyed the Kyoto accord, it's still going to continue to warm. Personally, I don't think we're going to affect CO2 emissions enough to make a difference, no matter what we do. The Bush administration should stop asking whether temperatures are globally rising and admit the scientific fact that they are, but then turn the question around politically and say: 'We can't really do anything about this on any kind of cost basis at all,'" he said.
Ed Brook, a climate scientist at Oregon State University, said the rise in greenhouse gases was a stark indication of the influence industry was having on the environment.

"The levels of primary greenhouse gases such as methane, carbon dioxide and nitrous oxide are up dramatically since the industrial revolution, at a speed and magnitude that the Earth has not seen in hundreds of thousands of years. There is now no question this is due to human influence."

"I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend I was one of those deaf-mutes." - the Laughing Man
Quote:Here in Texas we used to have snow on Thanksgiving, because of this bullshit attitude by the US despite all that has happened we're lucky to get anything on Christmas! I should be making a snow angel right now like I was 4 years ago.
[lol][lol]

If you do want a bunch of articles geared towards the global-warming isn't important side, go look up the articles in Chriton's State of Fear. Yes, they're real articles. Yes, there are articles for the other side. If you yell at me for not producing them... I'll totally not read your post :)

Now, I *do* have issues with the US just shooting down anything proposed by the rest of the world. Yeah, I love our EPA, sure, but geez.

Emissions are only going to get worse as more countries grow industrial. The US emissions are partly due to the huge amount of industry. That, and people who just don't give a damn about the environment. Which is a lot of people. And many of them are in the government...
gsgraham.comSo, no, zebras are not causing hurricanes.
Quote:Original post by Avatar God
Emissions are only going to get worse as more countries grow industrial. The US emissions are partly due to the huge amount of industry. That, and people who just don't give a damn about the environment. Which is a lot of people. And many of them are in the government...

According to these poll results large majorities in the USA do care about the environment: Environment.
"I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend I was one of those deaf-mutes." - the Laughing Man
i thought that i might add to all the anti-americans in this post. STOP FARTING!

Methane comes out of you when you pass gas which hurts our ozone layer. O yea there is methane pits under the ocean that produce alot of methane (can't remember from my geology class) Needless to say its alot, and the planet is doomed anyway.

with that said, any polution is bad. and everyone lay of the HATE USA Bandwagon. Chances are if your country had a natural disaster we would be there helping, cleanning up.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement