[web] Standards-Compliant MP3 Embedded object?

Started by
3 comments, last by ciroknight 18 years, 4 months ago
Is there a way to embed an mp3 that is standards-compliant and works across the current browsers (IE6, Firefox, Safari, and Opera)? If there isn't one that is Standards-Compliant but works across them all I would like to see those as well. Thanks!
BRING BACK THE BLACK (or at least something darker)
Advertisement
Object tags?

e.g.

<OBJECT DATA="./muzak/my_choons.mp3" TYPE="audio/mpeg"></OBJECT>
www.aidanwalsh(.net)(.info)
In theory flash would be cross-compatible - flash supports mp3, and flash can be used in most browsers (if someone doesn't have flash installed, they probably don't want to have music popping up anyway)
Thats what I was trying to use... but then IE crapped all over it...

This is what I've come up with. It uses IFrames to 'embed' the mp3. Browsers without the capabilities to play it in the browser window will be asked to download it.

Let me know if it works for you guys. Also, a general C&C of how I went about the song list and playing the mp3...

Thanks!
BRING BACK THE BLACK (or at least something darker)
Embed's also a good way to go; it's not actually written into any standard (surprise), but it's an object that works in broswers that are easily 10 years old. Embed will play back with the default plugin for the broswer if their is one, and will display an "x" anchor if the object's unavailable.

Sometime's it's good to cheat a standard, as long as you can assure it will work (as I assure you it will with embed). By the way, embed maps directly to object inside of firefox.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement