Getting Started with Client/Server

Started by
15 comments, last by Moondragon 18 years, 4 months ago
Of course you can still download Visual Basic 2005 from the same place. But VB has evolved and language is somewhat different. Looks more like C#.

Luck!
Guimo
Advertisement
do it in VB if you know how, dont listen to these people. if he knows the language let him use it... instead of griping about it just answer his question reardless of your OPINION on the matter.
Our opinion, is that he should move update his knowledge and skills into the 21st century, instead of clinging on to dying technology.
Quote:Original post by Kylotan
If you insist on VB6, You will either have to (a) use the Winsock object, which requires some pretty awful hacks to get working in conjunction with Timers and the like, or (b) wrap the Winsock calls from the Win32 API yourself, which makes it just as hard - if not harder - than using C or C++ for it, or (c) find a 3rd party component to handle networking for you, which will probably cost you money.

It isn't very difficult to get the Winsock object working with many players and a timer. I never made a MUD with it, but did make an online RPG, so it handled similarly.

I would recommend using .NET because it is newer and has more data structures. It is still possible to use the old Winsock with it, but Sockets would be better.
Quote:Original post by nprz
It isn't very difficult to get the Winsock object working with many players and a timer. I never made a MUD with it, but did make an online RPG, so it handled similarly.

I think you must have been lucky, as the timer callback has a nasty habit of interrupting important operations like your socket calls. Even with that sort of issue solved, the code you have to write is still very ugly.

Quote:Original post by Mcloud313
I have been told that it is better than .Net, as .NET is just annoying. Also I handle better with 6.0 anyway.

You've been told wrong, I'm afraid. VB.NET is a vast improvement on VB6. True, many old VB6 programmers didn't like VB.NET because it changes a lot of things, but that was an inevitable side-effect of fixing the many problems that VB had in the past.

Quote:Original post by willthiswork89
do it in VB if you know how, dont listen to these people. if he knows the language let him use it... instead of griping about it just answer his question reardless of your OPINION on the matter.

Did you even read as far as his second paragraph? It said, "Anyone have any suggestions for me as a somewhat newbie to programming?" 'Stop using VB6' is a suggestion, and one several people would agree with.
I have been told that it is better than .Net, as .NET is just annoying. Also I handle better with 6.0 anyway. I played with C++ back in the day, but I dont know as much about it as I do Visual Basic 6.0. As for being totally obselete I dont believe it is that yet. Of course I may be wrong.

Heya, Mcloud. Whoever told you this simply hasn't sat down with VB.NET for more than 10 minutes. I promise you. I've been using VB since v1.0 in 1991. Trust me when I say, VB.NET is far superior.

Right now, you can download Visual Studio 2005 Express, which is *fully* functional, just doesn't come with all the supplementary applications that a full install of VS does. Microsoft is *giving* it away.

I've been using it only for a couple of days, and it is *incredible* from a developer's standpoint. Check it out.

Simon
I am wanting to create a standalone fantasy MUD using Visual Basic 6.0. I realize that I am going to have to work with some client/mud programs and mess with them until I understand what I am doing, does anyone have any suggestions for some good source code with this?

Anyone have any suggestions for me as a somewhat newbie to programming? I've been doign small things for four to five years now, however I really can't find much success. Once I have a chat like program do you know where I should go with that? Im trying to understand what it will take to program the login stuff, and then how users moving from different rooms to rooms will playout with the code. Help is appreciated, Thanks.

If you're wanting to *learn programming*... write it from scratch.

If you want to learn programming but your focus is on *making a MUD*, then check this out: http://www.tigermud.com/

TigerMUD is a full-featured, open source, C# MUD, free for anyone to use. Source code is free. However, this will actually get you *programming* slower, because you'll also be learning all their systems -- and when I say 'full-featured'... I mean it. It's huge, and mostly completed. They do have a very well-written and informative developers guide to get you started, though.

As another optional route... I am a MUD developer myself, and have written a MUD engine from scratch in VB.NET. I am not willing to give it away, as it is for a proprietary system/world I've been working on for over 10 years -- but I am more than willing to provide code snippets, converse via IMs, discuss systems and design philosophies, etc...

My email is simon@mindmuse.net. Feel free to give a shout if you're interested in the last option. (This offer open to anyone who has a sincere desire to code MUDs in VB).

Be well,

Simon

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement