Sign in to follow this  

I have a final

This topic is 4373 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hey I have a final tomarrow, and Iam good with pretty much everything else except finding the inverse of functions especially when the function looks like this f(x) = x - 4 / x - 7 i try to do it but then I will still have either x or y on both sides. Can anyone help me out?

Hey TempHolder. I don't want to give you the answer, but you may be making this harder than it really is. Remember that you can pull variables out of one side of the equation as long as the variable is a coefficient in every term, like this:

-7y+4 = x - xy;
-7y+4 = x(1-y);

If a mod doesn't have a problem with it, I'd be happy to go into more detail...but as this is quasi-homework, you should keep plugging away at it!

Best of luck on your final!
Aviosity

basically what they tell me to do is solve for x in terms of why but after fallowing my steps

y(x - 7) = x - 4,

I will devide the y out and add 7 to the end and ill get

x = (x-4)/y + 7

and I know for a fact that that isnt the answer

Expand all the terms (do all the multiplications), put all the terms that have "x" on one side and all the terms that don't have "x" on the other side. Factor out the "x". Pass the things that are multiplying x dividing to the other side. Now you have your inverse.

I think we learned this in sixth grade.

The easiest way to invert functions like this is to swap the variables (swap x and y) and then solve for y again. Make sure you get the conditions correct(to avoid divide by zero)

Folks,

As a reminder, gamedev is not a forum to help people with homework. I'm happy that the replies posted here didn't totally give away the answer, but regardless when someone asks for this type of question, please refer them to the Forum FAQ, which has links to dedicated homework help forums!

I am closing the thread, and if the original poster still requires help, they can refer to links in the Forum FAQ.

This topic is 4373 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.