Why can I turn off a game's sound and still play it fine?

Started by
32 comments, last by Falkon Valkyrie 18 years, 3 months ago
I read this article long time ago about a kid that played Soul Calibur in the arcades (and was supposedly good at it) by ear only, as he was blind.

Now that probably made the sound designers very happy :)

For deaf people, you should have closed captions as an option along with subtitles. [boom] [clink] [step step step]
:)
Working on a fully self-funded project
Advertisement
I think it depends on the sound and the type of game.

I'm great at fighting games, but since it seems that I use sounds to identify precisedly when I am hit or what I hit instead of the visuals, my skill decreases a lot when playing without sounds.
In CS:S people sometimes put <no sound> next to their name if they don't have speakers hooked up. This is the equivilant to putting <sitting duck, come and knife me> provided they are telling the truth.
_______________________"You're using a screwdriver to nail some glue to a ming vase. " -ToohrVyk
Quote:Original post by xycos
Hmmm.... Well I had a couple of ideas, most of which would not require a positional sound system or hyper-sensitive ears. Low on health or ammo? Cue more tense music. RTS battle going well? Cue victory msic and shouts of glee (of course, that raises the questioon of when an RTS battle is going well). With percise integration of music, voice and SEs, the HUD for all different types of games could be reduced.

This is used in the game Skies of Arcadia (RPG) during battles. It's actually pretty cool and really changes the mood when suddenly I get whacked by a huge spell and I'm on the verge of defeat. Check out the game sometime and see (or rather, hear) the difference for yourself. [wink]

Hero of Allacrost - A free, open-source 2D RPG in development.
Latest release June, 2015 - GameDev annoucement

I'm deaf on one ear so I can't determine where sounds come from. So just guess how badly I get my ass whooped whenever I try to play CS ... :C

Also, there is this blind guy in the US who is super good at games like Tekken and Soul Calibur because he is using hearing feedback. Too bad I am too lazy to find the article about it right now.
I guess i'm one who competly disagree, sounds aree being used just fine in the REQUIRED games. you won't need great sound in a puzzel game, but in a game like far cry you need to be able to hear all sounds for positioning enemies in your mind since you can't see them most of the time.
I have a 500 watt 5.1 dolby digital home theater sourround system hooked up to my pc through digital coaxial, and an x-rocker audio chair (lets ytou feel explosions and such), to me sound is one of the most important aspects of a game and i rather enjoy it. although i will admit some games don't make complete use of the capabilities of the pc sound system.
-------------------------Only a fool claims himself an expert
Quote:Original post by Madvillain
Also, there is this blind guy in the US who is super good at games like Tekken and Soul Calibur because he is using hearing feedback. Too bad I am too lazy to find the article about it right now.

Here's the links about the blind fighting game kid:

http://www.usatoday.com/tech/news/2005-07-28-blind-gamer_x.htm
http://news.teamxbox.com/xbox/9049/First-Sightless-Mortal-Kombat-Challenge-LIVE-on-G4-Today/
--------------------------Sony "Mr. Valdez" ValdezPinoyforum.net Technical EditorPinoyforum.net - the breeding ground of the Filipino Computer Talents
Like Madvillian, I too am completely deaf in one ear and have hearing loss in the other.

So, if I cannot play the game without being able to hear well, I'm not going to play the game. You might say "Fine! You deaf folk are a minority anyway, so we don't care about you!" and I guess if you want to then that's fine. Deaf people have long been a silently discriminated minority, even closed captions on television are only legible and understandable some of the time, since they depend on the typist sitting there being able to transcribe the speach quickly and properly enough.

This is by and large why sound is not used as a crucial game aspect. There's not a lot you can do for blind people unfortunately, as video games are inherintly, video. However, if you are, like the above mentioned kid, able to play and enjoy them when blind, then that's fantastic!

However, my rant here is not merely about being deaf and thinking sound-required is a bad idea. I, like most of the responders here, like to either listen to my music or watch television while playing games. Of course, I always have the option of turning off my speakers, but if I'm using winamp, then that doesn't work well and if the game effects do add to the gameplay, I will keep effects on while turning off the ambient music.

My two cents, something to chew on,

Vopisk
I didn't read all of the posts so sorry if s/o already said this.

Has anybody hear ever played Doom 3 in the dark with the volume really loud. I would say the sound has alot to do with that game. id software tryed to focus alot on the audio in that game.

printf("C++ 4 Lifen");

I'm a GL guy.
This discussion has led me to an idea of an expirement -
it's simply about a game that relies on audio feedback _only_,
and shows no visual representation of any game-related information.

So, this is how I think it's gonna work:
You are fighting a duel againt an opponent in an dark, restricted room or area,
with only a pistol, 15 bullets, and your ears.
Your aim is to kill your opponent; to reach this aim, you will need to hit him three times.
As you can't see neither your enemy or your environment, you will have to rely solely on what you hear - your breath, heartbeat, steps on the floor, contact with walls, shots etc. - and from where you hear it.
There should be ground materials and wall materials which affect the way sound is produced and reflected, so after a while you can quite definately "feel" your enemy's position relative to yours just by the type of sound you hear, and the direction it comes from.
Using your brain doesn't hurt at all.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement