Why can I turn off a game's sound and still play it fine?

Started by
32 comments, last by Falkon Valkyrie 18 years, 3 months ago
Please, before yelling about "old topic", what I wrote is an "on topic" suggestion, that, although posted into a thread of at least "half a year of age", is definately linked to the topic and so belongs in here.

edit:
Put more stress on the "half a year thing" - so to make clear the exaggeration.

[Edited by - lucem on January 15, 2006 11:46:59 AM]
Using your brain doesn't hurt at all.
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by lucem
Please, before yelling about "old topic", what I wrote is an "on topic" suggestion, that, although posted into a thread of at least half a year of age, is definately linked to the topic and so belongs in here.

Half a year? More like half a month.

I don't know about your dark room idea, though. I don't think sound is enough information to navigate a dark room properly. If you've ever tried finding someone in pitch darkness, your sense of touch is invaluable. You become much more aware of any air currents and any heat changes. I think a visual like in the movie DareDevil would be necessary.

Of course, you did call it an experiment...
Yeah, you're right about that.
No one said you can't use Force Feedback ;)

Seriously, having real sensory input for air movement over skin etc. would be very nice, not only in this case. The problem is, I doubt without nervoud induction technology you won't be able to simulate this realistically - even when you've got Force Feedback, it just doesn't feel "real".
And since most games on the PC platform are still being played with keyboard and mouse, the bigger part of the (possible) audience doesn't own FF hardware.

But I believe that when the gameplay is properly stripped down, and every to-be-submitted information has it's unique sound effect attached to it, and given the fact that most Sound-APIs like OpenAL are able to simulate 3D-Sound on stereo, you can do a lot through the sound.
Using your brain doesn't hurt at all.
I find most games relatively dry without good music. For me, I can't play any game efficiently if I can't hear the music. If I mute the game, I can't play well. I'm a musical person so I greatly enjoy listening to the music and sounds in the game. The sounds "direct" some people, no matter how pointless the effects are. I can't play a game without sound effects or music.

I love music, especially in roleplaying games. Music that fits the emotion and environment. Music inspires me. Sound effects can also emphasize that feeling.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement