About 'Having an idea'.

Started by
52 comments, last by Cybergrape 18 years, 3 months ago
Quote:Original post by Oluseyi
Quote:Original post by GameFreeek
Your reaction to my comments in this thread also makes your contribution suspect as overly aggressive. How bout teaching OdHero more stuffs he need to know, kindly?

The following is an excerpt from my conversation log in #gamedev. Certain names have been redacted to protect identities. I apologize in advance for the profanity.
Quote:
Jan 17 02:02:10 ******	oluseyi why do you think your so superiorJan 17 02:11:58 Oluseyi	******, i don't think i'm superior. i think i'm honest.Jan 17 02:12:18 Oluseyi	you came in here a few weeks ago talking all big about 			making money via the stock market and all that like you 			were some kind of expertJan 17 02:12:41 Oluseyi	turns out you're a high school kid who can't even 			afford to put the principles he espouses into practiceJan 17 02:12:55 Oluseyi	without practice, then, your principles lack 			credibility. but you wouldn't shut up.Jan 17 02:13:13 Oluseyi	then you talk about "you used to program in C++" - 			when? grade school? kindergarten?Jan 17 02:13:29 Oluseyi	you're full of shit. and i don't like people that are 			full of shit.Jan 17 02:13:48 Oluseyi	i've given five years to GameDev as a community, 			teaching, sharing, reproving, administering, taking the 			heat for my convictionsJan 17 02:14:05 Oluseyi	people like you have a tendency to either leech from 			that community, or mislead some - and thus give me more 			work to doJan 17 02:14:09 Oluseyi	i don't appreciate itJan 17 02:14:28 Oluseyi	so if you want me to respect you, respect your fucking 			self. drop the pretense. you're a kid, and you don't 			know shitJan 17 02:14:39 Oluseyi	there's nothing wrong with not knowing shitJan 17 02:14:54 Oluseyi	i didn't know shit when i started. i still don't know 			shit about a lot of areas.Jan 17 02:15:10 Oluseyi	i don't answer questions on OpenGL, or on .NET 			specifics, or on advanced DirectXJan 17 02:15:33 Oluseyi	so grow some balls, be a man, accept your ignorance and 			embark on a journey in pursuit of knowledgeJan 17 02:15:39 Oluseyi	does that answer your question?Jan 17 02:16:58 Oluseyi	i don't mean to be mean. sometimes i'm just forced to 			be.

I'm not your mother. I'm not your cheerleader. So you have an idea and you found GameDev - so have over 300,000 other people. You haven't done anything impressive yet. You want to. I want you. But the first thing you need is to disabuse yourself of notions fostered by BS "coverage" in gaming mags, or the way interviews don't talk about the specifics of making a game. The entire reason this site - and dozens like it - exists is to provide concrete information on how to get that done. If you're not going to take any of the information being given to you, though, then leave... because you're taking people's time and attention away from others who will.

If you listen to us, we could have you making a basic game within three months - less if you're technically inclined. When I started, in 1993, there was no resource like GameDev, and I didn't even have access to the internet. It took me three months of intensely reading help files just to write simple text manipulation programs. In BASIC. Game development isn't hard, but it does require hard work and dedication, and nobody's going to do all that hard work while you sit back and reap the rewards. fin.

I'm ready to give everything I know - I've been giving it for five years. And the truth is that I'm basically leaving this community in the next six months because life obligations are building up. You think I have time to waste massaging the egos of people who aren't ready to work hard?

The reason mods have responded quickly and harshly to your comments is because we have all had to do significantly more work re-teaching people who have been misled. This is why we all visit the For Beginners forum. This is why we made one of our best C++ people (Fruny) the moderator of this forum. This is why we're revising our beginner resources, again. It costs us less to invest this much effort now than it will cost us to correct OdHero five months from now if he continues to labor under false assumptions.

Old habits die hard, especially bad ones. Better they not be learned in the first place.

Im really sorry then. You can continue to treat others with that kind of attitude. You can use more profanity against kids who know less than you becoz you moded for 5 years. Orally abuse them more, and all kids will automatically acquire the means to make games, yep, thats a new concept and it prolly works, proven by you, add that to the FAQs. "We talk **** to you and you better dont talk back or we will talk more **** to you."

I thought we're talking about advises here, and you wasted such a long time typing all your background out so you can continue your harsh talk, and you think we stole your credits? If credits is the meaning of your life, I will make you happier by giving you more credits.

It takes the same amount of time to talk harshly and kindly, it doesnt waste any more of your time. Unless when people said something you dislike, and you again type out all your backgrounds to shut them up, look at your log, 1 sentence attracts an essay, is that not time consuming? If Im wasting your oh so precious time, why are you continue to reply to me? Becoz Im wrong? Im wrong coz I requested mods to talk less harshly? Or becoz I said something you find unpleasing?

[Edited by - GameFreeek on January 17, 2006 11:04:18 PM]
Advertisement

Im really sorry then. You can continue to treat others with that kind of attitude. You can use more profanity against kids who know less than you becoz you moded for 5 years. Orally abuse them more, and all kids will automatically acquire the means to make games, yep, thats a new concept and it prolly works, proven by you, add that to the FAQs. "We talk **** to you and you better dont talk back or we will talk more **** to you."

I thought we're talking about advises here, and you wasted such a long time typing all your background out so you can continue your harsh talk, and you think we stole your credits? If credits is the meaning of your life, I will make you happier by giving you more credits.

It takes the same amount of time to talk harshly and kindly, it doesnt waste any more of your time. Unless when people said something you dislike, and you again type out all your backgrounds to shut them up, look at your log, 1 sentence attracts an essay, is that not time consuming? If Im wasting your oh so precious time, why are you continue to reply to me? Becoz Im wrong? Im wrong coz I requested mods to talk less harshly? Or becoz I said something you find unpleasing?

Now that is rude. If you actually took some time to review the history he has given, you might find it is actually factual instead of a made up image you have given.
I'll give you the benefit of 2+ years of lurking before creating an account, but what have you seen to make you get that image? Just this post or others with very similiar contents? There is reason for the above taken stance.
Before passing that kind of judgement take into consideration what leads up to that sort of conversation, It does require steps to get there.
Quote:Original post by LiyonDR

Now that is rude. If you actually took some time to review the history he has given, you might find it is actually factual instead of a made up image you have given.
I'll give you the benefit of 2+ years of lurking before creating an account, but what have you seen to make you get that image? Just this post or others with very similiar contents? There is reason for the above taken stance.
Before passing that kind of judgement take into consideration what leads up to that sort of conversation, It does require steps to get there.

I asked for people, not just him, to treat beginners less harshly, and he disagrees, its not about his image, its the attitude of harsh people that matters.

I dont think me asking for people to act nice is wrong. I did not flame people, I only use words you threw at me back at you. So if you find my words anger you, that must be due to your own choice of speech. I think we should treat each other kindly, but that doesnt mean I have to stand still and eat your bullet.

I may need senior's help, but that doesnt give them the rights to degrade me.

Lets see if you like it when your school's smartest prodigy brat acting high and mighty.
I'm a shiny new beginner...so shiny i just gleam! (no wear and tear yet) Reading all the responses of how the industry runs is rather ... bleak. But, reality often is. I too have some ideas but I know from experience in other areas that you cannot depend on someone elses time and talent to make your vision real. So that means learning new things to make it happen. OK, its not going to come all at once or overnight but just starting on the basics is an action. You change your mode from "I wanna" to "I'm getting there". So it takes a couple of years to really "get there", what else do you want to spend your time on?
I'm grateful you folks are here with all these really cool educational and experience resources. I know when I hit a brick wall (inevitable) I don't have to just stand there and further develop my forhead callous.
We were all bratty when we were young, without even meaning to be that way. (You have to really practice at it when you're older) Thankfully most of us had older friends who whispered wise words into our ears. I remember needing numerous and frequent sessions.
Anyway, I'm grateful for the honest voices of experience...even if it wasn't what I wanted to hear.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement