Motion Blur

Started by
12 comments, last by Toan1979 18 years, 3 months ago
Quote:Original post by Anonymous Poster
On the motion blur topic... are there any good resources for implementing a pixel-velocity-based technique rather than alpha blending multiple full frames?

I second this, anyone know of any?
Ollie"It is better to ask some of the questions than to know all the answers." ~ James Thurber[ mdxinfo | An iridescent tentacle | Game design patterns ]
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by Anonymous Poster
On the motion blur topic... are there any good resources for implementing a pixel-velocity-based technique rather than alpha blending multiple full frames?

The PixelMotionBlur sample included in the DXSDK does this.
Dustin Franklin ( circlesoft :: KBase :: Mystic GD :: ApolloNL )
Cheers for all the info guys. With the help of those tutorials i've finally gotten my motion blur to start looking nice. I was just re-reading over the post - with regard to the render to target option that was suggested first, I'm not sure I understand how it works. If you render an image multiple times to a surface, shifting the position a little bit in each direction to give it a blurred look, would that mean that the texture would be too large for the original object, and therefore when it was applied to it, make the object suddenly shrink?

Perhaps I'm not understanding the technique, would anyone care to enlighten me?

Cheers :)
Hi there,

It might be a bit late for you as you've already got it going, but here was another article I found very helpful in regards to setting up a simply blur effect ( Check out the first section - Setting up the Swap Chain ):

http://www.talula.demon.co.uk/postprocessing/postprocessing.html

This explains it pretty clearly to me - it might have also been what you implemented!

The bit on making the render target a larger power of 2 and then rescaling the texcoords also caters for any screen resolution changes.

Toan

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement