building an terrain editor

Started by
3 comments, last by Xeile 18 years, 4 months ago
I was assign to build a 3D terrain editor for our project, and i decided to consult you guys on some point; How do i build the terrain, do i need to based it to a heightmap file as input? how about generating the texture of the terrain for this? how about the mesh of the terrain? how did you guys build your terrain editor? i knw MFC or win32 my qustion now is on building the terrain for my editor? thanks
Advertisement
Well it depends what the output your team wants is... do they want a heightmap terrain, or a 3D mesh object?

If you're building the terrain, you don't need to base it on an input heightmap - surely building a heightmap would be part of the job of a level editor?

If you're interested I can let you see my heightmap editor - it's a bit shaky since only I use it, but might give you some ideas on how (or how not) to do things...

PM me or email the address in my profile since I'll probably forget about this thread...
Quote:Original post by yuppies
I was assign to build a 3D terrain editor for our project, and i decided to consult you guys on some point;

How do i build the terrain, do i need to based it to a heightmap file as input? how about generating the texture of the terrain for this? how about the mesh of the terrain?
how did you guys build your terrain editor? i knw MFC or win32 my qustion now is on building the terrain for my editor?

thanks

It seems your project group didn't do a great deal about general agreements. If they say: "Make us a terrain editor!" they must also say what the output of the editor is. So I would say, go sit around the table first and agree on what the output must be. You are better of asking these question with your projectgroup then here, since we don't know about the agreements.

When working in groups you must always spend time in synchronising and making agreements. If you don't do this, people do it all there own way and will most unlikely meet at one point in the end. So I would say go talk with you projectgroup first, then these questions won't be bothering you mind.

Good luck.

Regards,

Xeile
well thanks for your reply guys,

the reason im asking the community since im also the one that will create/build the loader of the terrain to the engine, so feel free to suggest on anything.

thanks
Quote:Original post by yuppies
well thanks for your reply guys,

the reason im asking the community since im also the one that will create/build the loader of the terrain to the engine, so feel free to suggest on anything.

thanks

Aahh that explain something more, but then you must discuss further with the person who makes there renderer, ask how it is gonna be drawn, how big it should be, scale, that short of things.

I think you should start thinking first what to generate first, you could start of with a grid. When you generated your mesh (grid), you think of your own file-format to import/export with, or using an existing one. Anyway, commune first, think second and do last.

Good luck,

Regards,

Xeile

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement