Best Graphic card for OpenGl

Started by
20 comments, last by wildem 18 years, 3 months ago
Quote:Original post by r
well, for opengl development based on my experience i'ld say go for nVidia they make CORRECT behaviour drivers (please note the CORRECT BEHAVIOUR thing)

This is an intresting point, yes they do alot right, but so do ATI wrt the spec, sometimes NV's drivers will accept things which cause ATI's to go wrong, however ATI's got it right.
Plus there is the GLSL thing, the fact it accepts Cg extensions by default (or did) bugs the hell out of me... yes, yes, I know you can turn them off but extensions should be requested, not enabled by default imo.

Advertisement
Thanks a lot for your answers

My last question is that if you wanted to have the best graphic card on your Linux box then which one would you choose ? and is Nvidia drivers on Linux the same quality as Win ?

The other one : which graphic card is the smallest in size and give you the best performance?

I know my last question is weired but I need to know this if anybody know an answer for it!
OpenGl + C++
Buy either the GeForce 6600GT or the GeForce 6800GS, depending on how much money you're looking to spend. Don't bother with any other cards.
SlimDX | Ventspace Blog | Twitter | Diverse teams make better games. I am currently hiring capable C++ engine developers in Baltimore, MD.
A almost always had ATI cards, to my satisfasction. Now I have Radeon9800 pro which is a little outdated and I will buy X800 (acually X800 GTO) which is a little more expensive then 6600GT with better performance. So that is my recommendation for that price range - Radeon X800.
The X800 is fast but it does not support shader model 3.0 .
What do you think about XGI Volari ? Does any of you know why XGI support only up to OpenGl 1.5 ?
OpenGl + C++
Download this PDF file:

NVIDIA Linux Advantage

If you are a game developer you should also check the developer tools from nVidia and ATI and also if all the tools you need are available under Linux.

Quote:Original post by bargasteh
What do you think about XGI Volari ? Does any of you know why XGI support only up to OpenGl 1.5 ?
XGI are a fringe player, mainly involved in budget cards with very low power consumption. Unless you need low power graphics, there's no particular reason to be looking at them.
SlimDX | Ventspace Blog | Twitter | Diverse teams make better games. I am currently hiring capable C++ engine developers in Baltimore, MD.
Hi!

nVidia is currently your best choice but exactly at this moment its advantage is not that clear. The 7800GTX is really an amazing video card but IMHO ATI's new hardware architecture looks promising. The new X1800, X1600 and X1300 series can handle the shader model 3 and in fact ATI is the only HW vendor that already ships Windows Vista Certified Drivers. I guess the new architecture will give ATI an edge.

But in this moment the king is nVidia. And for Linux its your best option. And for OpenGL way better as nVidia optimizes for OGL first (ATI optimizes for DX first). I totally agree about the 6600 series. Its cheap but can handle almost everything. An excellent choice.

But, as I said, keep an eye on ATI. It holds some tricks that nVidia haven't handled yet.

Luck!

i think some ppl are confused.
the OP mentioned "OpenGL under Linux"
in this case theres only one choice (unless youre a open driver zealot)
and thats nvidia.

under windows u have the choice between ati/nvidia, but under linux nvidia is the only viable solution

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement