Best Graphic card for OpenGl

Started by
20 comments, last by wildem 18 years, 2 months ago
Quote:Original post by bargasteh
and is Nvidia drivers on Linux the same quality as Win ?

Well, I have a 6600 AGP card.
I've tried using NVidia drivers under linux and I'm pretty satisfied, the drivers are fairly easy to setup and provide a good amount of options(not as much as those in the Windows driver, but not bad).
I didn't try to develop OpenGL apps under linux, but I tried to run some of my apps built for Win32(I ran them under wine) and I was amazed with the performance, which is very close to(if not more than) the performance achieved under Win32.
Also, the Nvidia linux driver is nearly up-to-date(again, not as much as the Windows driver, but it is updated often)

hope this helps.
xee..
Advertisement
Well, from experience with Suse and Redhat linux dev systems, i have noticed a steady trend of solid performance in OpenGL with NVidia cards. The 3D acceleration for ATI was horrid with my radeon9200 even though, windows OpenGL was superb (dual boot system). Just recently i've got the driver to work flawlessly, but it's not my primary dev system ( hence the 9200 series card ).

In all i would recommend the 6600 or 6800 NVidia series cards as solid mid-level, budget hardware. If you're partial towards ATI, then make sure that 3D acceleration is supported by the distro you're gonna use and you're set.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement