[web] design critique

Started by
11 comments, last by capn_midnight 18 years, 2 months ago
clickah This is perhaps my simplest design yet. I'm going for very strict cross-platform compatibility, and the XHTML 1.0 Strict DTD is pretty good for that. Any thoughts on the design? I'm thinking of changing the grey background color to something else, but I don't know what. I'm also thinking of changing the banner. Our local web design expert here at work liked it, but I think it might be a tad too busy. Also, getting a few hits on the site from different people will help me test my page-hit::unique-hit graph at the bottom of the menu.

[Formerly "capn_midnight". See some of my projects. Find me on twitter tumblr G+ Github.]

Advertisement
I'm not a fan of the purple but that's a personal preference. I don't recommend the white links on the left. The purple isn't dark enough to show white links very well.
Quote:Original post by thasmin
I'm not a fan of the purple but that's a personal preference. I don't recommend the white links on the left. The purple isn't dark enough to show white links very well.

there is no purple, it's all blue.

[Formerly "capn_midnight". See some of my projects. Find me on twitter tumblr G+ Github.]

The overall placement isn't good. Not the blocks umong eachother (that's fine) but the fact that everything is on the left. Either use a fixed width design and center the entire page, or make it fill out to the full width of the browser, regardless how small or big it is. Please don't fix the width and then flush everything left.

The banner is fine in my eyes, though you may want to get rid of the border. A lighter background would suit it though. Maybe something with a light pattern in it instead of just a solid color?

[Edited by - Sander on January 20, 2006 6:13:31 PM]

<hr />
Sander Marechal<small>[Lone Wolves][Hearts for GNOME][E-mail][Forum FAQ]</small>

nescio, sed fieri sentio et excrucior.

Looks pretty dece. Nothin too flashy, and maybe a smidge too much blue...but it is functional and easy to navigate.
okay, I've made some of the changes that were suggested.

Oh nice :-)

I get a tad of horizontal scrolling now though. It's probabely caused by a margin or padding somewhere because it's only really small (around 10 pixels or so). Remember that the width you set + padding + border + margin is the actual ammount of pixels a block uses.

<hr />
Sander Marechal<small>[Lone Wolves][Hearts for GNOME][E-mail][Forum FAQ]</small>

Sander, I don't know what is going on with the scroll. The only element with a fixed width is the menu, after that everything should be proportional or undefined.

The links on the left-hand-side menu have almost the same style as the normal text on your page. Try to make them stand out a bit more by giving them a different colour and/or using a larger or fatter font. You could also make them light up on mouse hover to give them extra affordance.

The simple style is cool. If you want ultimate compatibility you will have to consider different types of displays such as those on mobile devices, which are quite small. For small displays you could for example use a layout that consists of only one fairly narrow column. You can use CSS to use different page layouts/styles for different types of displays (see the "media" attribute of the link tag for linking different stylesheets depending on the type of display).
Deniz ÖzsenSoftware Engineerhttp://www.symbian.com/
Quote:Original post by capn_midnight
Sander, I don't know what is going on with the scroll. The only element with a fixed width is the menu, after that everything should be proportional or undefined.

I don't know what you changed since my last post, but the horizontal scrollbar is gone now. Kudos!

<hr />

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement