What should I do?

Started by
3 comments, last by Underoath 18 years, 3 months ago
A couple of years ago I new a lot of c++ for my age, but after about a year I stopped. Next year I can start programming classes but I want to be ahead of the gang since I know once I start remembering it will be as easy as typing this. So I know that part will be easy but what I want to know is what parts of c++ should I start learning before starting direct x? I will be using Visual c++ exress edition for a while but I shouldn't worry about application forms to much should I? Then in a few years I should start modding games to work up my portfillo? Should I work with 3d animation and such? Thanks guys.
Advertisement
start learning the methology of programming, and start learning data structures and algorithim
Bring more Pain
post what you know and where you want to be ( be more descriptive ):

1.DirectX is c++ API written by Msoft... so yes, learn as much c++ as you can.
2.Judging you want to directx means you want to do game stuff... nowadays, a c++ programmer has a responsibility to know c++,c,math (2d,3d), and a couple of scripting languages.
c++,c is the engine stuff
directx / opengl is the display APIs that you should learn after you're comfortable with c++
math is for knowing why directx / opengl does what it does. It's not hard, but it's necessary..
scripting: Lua, Python, Ruby . these some of many used extensively by companies to script the game without meddling with the game engine directly.

I suggest to narrow yourself to one thing at time, programming, then animation then directx, then scripting ...

as to what part of c++ you need to know, download the directx SDK, check out the samples and see what's missing from your arsenal... there's just a lot of everything in there.

most of all, have fun

[]wildem[]
If you're going to take the C++ route, my advice would be to stay as far away from C++ as possible. It requires advanced knowledge of not only the C++ language, but also design and program structure. Do a bunch of programs using the console (Tic Tac Toe, Text-Based RPG, etc) before moving onto the more graphical stuff. SDL or Allegro might be a good stepping stone after that if you want to take up your hand at graphic programming. Especially if you're looking to get into more advanced stuff with either OpenGL or Direct3D.

Of course, you don't need to take the C++ route. C# and VB.NET are becoming very popular alternatives. SDL.NET would be a good choice if you want to get into some easy graphical stuff with the .NET Framework. Python with PyGame are also very valid choices. The thing you have to decide is what you want to learn and then stick to it. Good luck!
Rob Loach [Website] [Projects] [Contact]
I'm pretty sure I want to go down the c++ route because i'm not sure what machine I will want to develop on (pc or console) but I know I want to start on the pc. I plan on getting hired by a company as a game programmer so I'm pretty sure I'll need to learn Direct X or open gl. Does anybody reccomend any colleges for game design or programming? I need to look at it now to see what classes I need to take through the rest of highschool.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement