Why is os x better than windows?

Started by
33 comments, last by klems 18 years, 2 months ago
Quote:Original post by DigiDude
The MacBook can dual boot Windows and OS X

Maybe. It'll probably boot Vista, but the jury is still out on XP and below, and it seems more unlikely as time goes on.
Advertisement
No it can't, not until Vista.

Last I checked, there was a $10,000 reward for making XP work on one of those. No lucky yet.

It can't be done, because they finally ditched the ancient obsolete BIOS.
XP doesn't work on a system that doesn't have a BIOS. Simple as that.

There's no reason Vista won't work (Windows x64 would work too, except the cpu's are 32 bit only), but so far, nope, it won't run Windows.
Quote:Original post by alexmoura
...OSX is perceived as more stable and more secure...

Alas, it is neither.

Apple claims OS X can speak SMB, but conveniently omits to mention that it can only speak unencrypted SMB, and Windows encrypts by default, so integrating a Mac with your Windows Server-based domain requires lowering the net level of security.

OS X provides Windows file sharing, but doing so also degrades security - you actually get a message telling you that activating Windows sharing requires your password be stored in "a less secure way." Hey, Apple, ever heard of services?

Safari is the most likely culprit if you experience filesystem corruption. And the Disk Utility can't work on the boot drive, so you have to insert your install disk and select Disk Utility off of that menu.

Early versions of File Vault - a utility that encrypted data in your home directory - destroyed data. Early versions of OS X 10.3 wiped external hard drives clean on mount. These are release versions, not betas or CTPs.

On the other hand, the use of drive images (.dmg) and application folders (.app) for installation makes Windows with its registry look like a relic of a bygone era. The plethora of built-in utilities with reasonable defaults/features/options (PDF preview, save snapshots as PDF, a mail client that doesn't suck) adds significant value. The document-centric UI model (floating palette menus unconnected to the actual document window that disappear when none of the application windows is in focus, allowing you to focus on your data and not the app, and the ability to stack individual windows from different apps) enhances workflow once you get used to it.

There are some insanely cool features in OS X. There are some insanely cool features in Windows XP. There are some insanely moronic features in OS X. There are some insanely moronic features in Windows XP. The distribution of cool and moronic features in either OS is roughly equal. OS X seems to have a slightly cleaner design behind it, which makes some process interactions simple and powerful. Windows XP seems to have bugfixes for many little problems, which minimizes the occurence of significant failure.

The bottom line is that you choose your OS for the applications. Choose wisely.
We are talking about the new x86 MacBook right?
F-R-E-D F-R-E-D-B-U-R...G-E-R! - Yes!
I'm pleased that outside of a few of the usual suspects, this thread hasn't descended into a flamewar yet. Keep it that way, please.

I prefer OS X, but it's not necessarily better -- at least half of every platform is the software available. I've had good and bad experiences, but it's my primary system for sure. I like the OS X dev tools -- there's a lot of wacky OSS stuff going on (native applications with Python and AppleScript under the hood) and a lot of really nice ideas kicking around that improve the quality of software that gets written on it.

I do run all three major operating systems because I believe that platform fanboyism does nothing but limit my potential market, and releasing my game on as many platforms as possible is the best idea. Also, getting exposed to more ideas from the software on each platform as they evolve is generally a good thing to do -- GNOME is making a lot of interesting advancements that are completely different from where Windows and OS X are going, for example.

I'd recommend you go and actually try one of the machines -- spending money on a computer off the suggestions of some forum trolls is unilaterally a dumb thing to do. If you think I'm credible (for whatever reason), I do like my 12" 1.33 PB and will be upgrading to a Macbook once the machine gets worn out or I receive a sudden windfall of moolah.
I will try and keep this as less flamy as I can.

Quote:...the macbook is way more stylish. So in 3 years which will last the style or the power.
The Macbook Pro looks exactly like my brothers Toshiba. In 3 years, I would probably be more happy with a nice HP laptop with a Turion64 that is still running then a Macbook that is most likely been recalled for some hardware problem.(*click*)
Then there's the single button thing. The one where you have to hold down the control key, then click to get the right click action you want. I guess that doesn't bother people, but its just easier to have another button right under a finger that isn't doing anything anyway. You could just get an external mouse, but becareful what you get! There are no PS/2 ports on a Macbook!(even though that shouldn't be a problem, no one usues those anyway). Don't forget though, this is a laptop, do you want to carry a mouse around with you everywhere and have to pull it out and pack it away every time you open your laptop?

OK, I admit, the mouse thing is a bad arguement, it really isn't that much of a hassle to use te control key. Just gets on my nervers sometimes.

One more thing that gets be about OSX is the windows NEVER maximize. You can hit the little green Maximize bubble all day and it wont fit itself to the screen! That's just a personal thing though, all my apps on my Windows machine open up maximized. I don't need to see the desktop. Then, some Mac users will say "If everything is maximized how do you see the windows behind the current app you have open?" Windows has this cool thing called a Task Bar. It shows all the open windows you have up on you computer! So If I am working on something and I need two Explorer(the file browser, not IE) windows open I can open them and see them both in the task bar! Yay!

Now, when I want several Finder windows(I guess thats what you'd call 'em) open you can't just glance over and see what ones are open, and click the one you want up. You would either have to:
1. Hit F9 to scrunch everything onto the monitor at once and try and read the small text on the 2 or more Finder windows you have open to get the one you want. or
2. Press and hold the mouse button down on the Finder icon on the Dock to get a list of open windows. Not so bad, but when your doing something that requires a lot of back and forth action with the windows it takes up precious seconds. and,
3. Use the good ol' control key and click to emulate right click on the Finder icon on the Dock.

One more thing about the Dock, I have all these application icons that are showing and non of the apps are even open! whats going on!

OK. Thats my opinion on why I will never buy another computer running OS X.

EDIT: Forgot to add something about Windows! It rocks! I love Windows! It works well, it supports all of my hardware well(And I even chose my own hardware! How cool is that?[but I guess that doesn't really havea place in a post about laptops]) Honestly, I don't have a problem with Windows. Your not going to get a virus unless someone on your network gets a really bad one, or your into downloading illegal software. Same goes for Adware/Spyware.
............Could Jesus microwave a burrito so hot that he himself could not eat it?
Quote:Original post by Oluseyi
Apple claims OS X can speak SMB, but conveniently omits to mention that it can only speak unencrypted SMB, and Windows encrypts by default, so integrating a Mac with your Windows Server-based domain requires lowering the net level of security.

No it doesn't. All we had to do was use the Active Directory plugin to authenticate with Active Directory. Simple bind and off it went. No change on the Windows side at all.

Quote:
OS X provides Windows file sharing, but doing so also degrades security - you actually get a message telling you that activating Windows sharing requires your password be stored in "a less secure way." Hey, Apple, ever heard of services?

Again, no it doesn't. Relating to above, the bind to Active Directory also mounts the home directory share that each person gets. On top of that, it follows NTFS permissions like Unix permissions. No problem with security there. Also, no password needs to be passed.

Quote:Original post by lethalhamster
Windows has this cool thing called a Task Bar. It shows all the open windows you have up on you computer! So If I am working on something and I need two Explorer(the file browser, not IE) windows open I can open them and see them both in the task bar! Yay!

Massive oversimplification. I frequently have multiple windows open from multiple apps concurrently - Outlook/Thunderbird, IE and Office (Word) being the main culprits. The Windows task bar stacks windows to conserve linear space, requiring a click to reveal detailed information about window captions. In both Windows and OS X, at that point, it becomes faster and more effective to simply use the task switcher (Windows: Alt+Tab; OS X: Cmd+Tab) to cycle through open windows, though the behaviors are slightly different: OS X cycles through applications, requiring Cmd+Tilde to then cycle through application windows, while Windows cycles through all windows.

Windows XP Power Toys includes a task switcher enhancement that shows a thumbnail view of the window, and Vista will show live updating thumbnails. OS X only shows the application icon.

Quote:One more thing about the Dock, I have all these application icons that are showing and non of the apps are even open! whats going on!

First, you can remove icons from the Dock so that only running apps are showing. Second, the little black triangle underneath a Dock icon indicates that the app is running. Third, you're right; the Dock is an annoying and confusing meld of Start Menu and Task Bar.

Again, however, none of the above is a reason to choose Windows XP or OS X, or even the upcoming Windows Vista. It's all about the applications.
Quote:Original post by Maega
No it doesn't. All we had to do was use the Active Directory plugin to authenticate with Active Directory. Simple bind and off it went. No change on the Windows side at all.

I'll look into this Active Directory plugin. Any tips for mapping a Windows Server shared drive on login? We currently run an AppleScript at startup that manually mounts the share.

Note that the machine that I enabled Windows file sharing on is set to serve as the backup data store for Windows Server (yes, I'm backing up onto a Mac).
Quote:Original post by Promit
Yeah, the OSX installation model is really, truly beautiful. Puts Windows to shame, and Linux just looks moronic beside it.

Linux is just a kernel; it doesn't mandate anything about how software is installed. Linux distributions offer many good systems for dealing with installing software. Debian has apt, Suse has yast, Fedora has yum etc. all with simple to use GUI for finding and automatically installing software. You can also download the latest versions of all your software in one easy step (in contrast, Windows will only offer automatic updates to Microsoft software).

If you like Apple's system, you might want to look at klik: http://klik.atekon.de/

All you do is click on applications links from the free software store website (such as the URL klik://firefox for firefox and klik://skype for skype) and a single program package is downloaded and run automatically. The software comes in a single file package which is stored on your desktop so you can rerun it later if you want.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement