Why is os x better than windows?

Started by
33 comments, last by klems 18 years, 2 months ago
Quote:Original post by monstermunch
Linux is just a kernel; it doesn't mandate anything about how software is installed. Linux distributions offer many good systems for dealing with installing software. Debian has apt, Suse has yast, Fedora has yum etc. all with simple to use GUI for finding and automatically installing software. You can also download the latest versions of all your software in one easy step (in contrast, Windows will only offer automatic updates to Microsoft software).

If you like Apple's system, you might want to look at klik: http://klik.atekon.de/

All you do is click on applications links from the free software store website (such as the URL klik://firefox for firefox and klik://skype for skype) and a single program package is downloaded and run automatically. The software comes in a single file package which is stored on your desktop so you can rerun it later if you want.

Please read Promit's second post about this subject, then return. *edit: Although you're correct, Klik does seem extremely close.

lethalhamster: I don't recall the keypress at the moment, but Expose has an option to just show the current application's windows. It is quite useful.

CM
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by lethalhamsterOne more thing that gets be about OSX is the windows NEVER maximize. You can hit the little green Maximize bubble all day and it wont fit itself to the screen! That's just a personal thing though, all my apps on my Windows machine open up maximized. I don't need to see the desktop. Then, some Mac users will say "If everything is maximized how do you see the windows behind the current app you have open?" Windows has this cool thing called a Task Bar. It shows all the open windows you have up on you computer! So If I am working on something and I need two Explorer(the file browser, not IE) windows open I can open them and see them both in the task bar! Yay!

I'm convinced that this is mainly just a matter of how you use the computer. Some Windows users get used to each application taking up the entire screen; this is great for that one application but not so good for the other apps that want screen space as well (whether they actually need that screen space is another question). Mac users get used to applications that only make use of part of the screen, and henc allow them to see the windows of other apps behind the one that currently has focus. I do actually have one good use case for this behaviour - I spend a lot of time on IRC, not actively chatting, but keeping an eye on what's going on. Typically I have a web browser that has focus and occupies the upper portion of the screen, while the IRC channels hug the bottom edge. This allows me to watch chat while still browsing. And yes, I'm aware that you can do this in Windows as well. It's something that a Windows user who automatically maximizes every window might not think of, though.

In general, the Windows paradigm is one app = one window, while the Mac is one app = many windows. Where a Windows user would open another instance of a program to do two things at once (e.g. two IE instances, or two PuTTY sessions), a Mac user would open another window (e.g. two Safari windows, or two Terminal wondows). Since windows within a given application share screen real estate, it doesn't make sense to automatically maximize each one; that'd mean that at any given time, only a fraction of your application can be seen.

Incidentally, my biggest pet peeve with Windows is that it doesn't task-switch like Macs do. Alt-tab gets you from any one open window to any other window. So if you have lots of open windows, it'll take you forever to find what you want. Macs group windows under their application "owners", so Cmd-Tab only takes you from one app to another. Then if you want to switch windows in that app, you hit Cmd-`. On Windows it's a major pain to, say, switch from one open browser window to two open SSH sessions. Of course, on a Mac it's a pain to switch from one browser window to one SSH session (assuming you have another open session sitting around).
Jetblade: an open-source 2D platforming game in the style of Metroid and Castlevania, with procedurally-generated levels
Quote:Original post by Oluseyi
Quote:Original post by Maega
No it doesn't. All we had to do was use the Active Directory plugin to authenticate with Active Directory. Simple bind and off it went. No change on the Windows side at all.

I'll look into this Active Directory plugin. Any tips for mapping a Windows Server shared drive on login? We currently run an AppleScript at startup that manually mounts the share.

Note that the machine that I enabled Windows file sharing on is set to serve as the backup data store for Windows Server (yes, I'm backing up onto a Mac).

The AD bind will mount the home folder listed in an Active Directory user profile automatically. It mounts the share point only though. It won't map directly to the subdirectories (if any). So for example, \\fileserver\home directory\joeuser will mount automatically as \\fileserver\home directory. The user will have to manually navigate to their folder. If permissions are set correctly, that isn't a security risk.

As for mounting more drives, the way you're doing it is correct.
Quote:Original post by Oluseyi
Quote:Original post by lethalhamster
Windows has this cool thing called a Task Bar. It shows all the open windows you have up on you computer! So If I am working on something and I need two Explorer(the file browser, not IE) windows open I can open them and see them both in the task bar! Yay!

Massive oversimplification. I frequently have multiple windows open from multiple apps concurrently - Outlook/Thunderbird, IE and Office (Word) being the main culprits. The Windows task bar stacks windows to conserve linear space, requiring a click to reveal detailed information about window captions. In both Windows and OS X, at that point, it becomes faster and more effective to simply use the task switcher (Windows: Alt+Tab; OS X: Cmd+Tab) to cycle through open windows, though the behaviors are slightly different: OS X cycles through applications, requiring Cmd+Tilde to then cycle through application windows, while Windows cycles through all windows.

Also, if he really wants to see all open windows he can use Exposé (this will also have live updating thumbnails of the windows).

Quote:
Windows XP Power Toys includes a task switcher enhancement that shows a thumbnail view of the window, and Vista will show live updating thumbnails. OS X only shows the application icon.

Well, if the window is minimized it will have a live updating thumbnail in the dock and, like I said, the window thumbnails in Exposé are live updating.
Quote:Original post by lethalhamster
Now, when I want several Finder windows(I guess thats what you'd call 'em) open you can't just glance over and see what ones are open, and click the one you want up. You would either have to:
1. Hit F9 to scrunch everything onto the monitor at once and try and read the small text on the 2 or more Finder windows you have open to get the one you want. or
2. Press and hold the mouse button down on the Finder icon on the Dock to get a list of open windows. Not so bad, but when your doing something that requires a lot of back and forth action with the windows it takes up precious seconds. and,
3. Use the good ol' control key and click to emulate right click on the Finder icon on the Dock.
Or you just press Command-< (on a Swedish keyboard - apparently that's a tilde on US keyboards) a few times. Pretty much like any sane person (read: I) would do it on a Windows machine, with Alt-tab.

Quote:Your not going to get a virus unless someone on your network gets a really bad one, or your into downloading illegal software. Same goes for Adware/Spyware.
As someone who spent several hours of my precious free time removing massive amounts of spyware from my parents' two weeks old Windows installation, I take grave offense at your comments. Remember that these people can't even spell "illegal software", much less download it.

It's because of things like this I helped them install Ubuntu; to make sure my rare visits don't get wasted on computer support. When they finally ditched Ubuntu in favour of Windows (apparently, my 15 year old sister was quite upset that GAIM wouldn't let her send or receive custom animations - at least that's the reason they gave me) and as a result got a metric fuckton of malware, of course I was the one they turned to to fix up the machine.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement