What do i need?

Started by
3 comments, last by M2tM 18 years, 1 month ago
Im new to game progrmaing. Im even new to programing in general. But i still want to create a game. I already have a book on game programing(tricks of the windows game programing gurus)but i still need to know what i need. so i guess there's my question. What do i need to begin?(im going to program in C) Thanks in advance Tyler
Advertisement
by the way im low on money. VERY low.(im 14 and going to germany)
I'm guessing you want to make a 3D game. First of all, you should learn to program small text based game. Then, work on small 2D games like tetris,pong, and eventually, breakout. When you have made a ton of those games, you can buy Torque and start making your own 3D games.
-Kyle
well of coarse i would like to make a 3d game, who wouldnt? but im trying to make a 2d game right now and im just wondering what type of programs i need like windows paint, a compiler, stuff like that.

thanks
You do not need windows paint. Or any drawing programs (at least in terms of making a game). Not yet. When you come across the need for them, give gimp a look (it's both good and free and you say you have no money). The reason I say you won't need this is because with C you will not be using graphics

Now, a compiler you will need.

First of all, if you're planning on learning C or C++ you will not be doing graphics for a good few months. Not even a little bit. You'll be working in the console (dos-like text). A free Microsoft compiler is available for a limited time only (limited time to download, but once you have it it's free forever.) This, being free also fits within your requirements: Visual Studio Express

I don't know how you arrived at the decision to learn C (or possibly C++) first, but it is not an easy language for a beginner to pick up. Easy languages that will let you actually do stuff quickly include QBasic, Dark Basic (dark basic is neither free, nor available from any other companys basically it's more of a game creation tool than a programming language), and Python

You'll need to do a lot of reading, don't expect it to be easy.
_______________________"You're using a screwdriver to nail some glue to a ming vase. " -ToohrVyk

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement