D3D Debugging? Wierd!

Started by
7 comments, last by GameDev.net 18 years, 1 month ago
I get this message in the debug output: Direct3D9: (INFO) :Failed to create driver indexbuffer However the geometry is rendered correctly which means the index buffer is there and created successfully. Another problemo is when I minimize the windowed D3D app I cannot get it back even while debuggin it freezes, and I have to stop debugging in roder to quit the app. What could be the problem? Do i have to add something in the WM_SIZE or other message to handle minimization or restoring in D3D applications specifically? Thanks.
Advertisement
Quote:I get this message in the debug output:

Direct3D9: (INFO) :Failed to create driver indexbuffer
Ignore it.

I get that message all the time with my applications and it's never caused me any problems [smile]

Quote:Another problemo is when I minimize the windowed D3D app I cannot get it back even while debuggin it freezes, and I have to stop debugging in roder to quit the app. What could be the problem?
It's conventional to pause your application's rendering when it's minimized. Check for minimize/restore messages from WM_SIZE..

If that doesn't work, you might want to look into how you're handling lost devices.

hth
Jack

<hr align="left" width="25%" />
Jack Hoxley <small>[</small><small> Forum FAQ | Revised FAQ | MVP Profile | Developer Journal ]</small>

Quote:I get this message in the debug output:

Direct3D9: (INFO) :Failed to create driver indexbuffer

It just means that it couldn't create the index buffers in VRAM (some cards can't do this) so it made them in system RAM instead. It's not fatal (hence the INFO aspect of the message).

It will only be a problem if you expected your index buffers to be in VRAM,

Paul
Like Paul stated, it isn't anything you really have to deal with. Here is a KBase article on the subject.
Dustin Franklin ( circlesoft :: KBase :: Mystic GD :: ApolloNL )
Thanks alot.

Any suggested scenario to handle lost device?

Could this prevent restoring-after-minimize hang-up?
Quote:Original post by quaker
Any suggested scenario to handle lost device?

Could this prevent restoring-after-minimize hang-up?

These two are unrelated, so not being able to create a driver index buffer won't cause a device reset to fail. However, if you are asking a separate question, yes, lost devices could prevent a hang-up after restoration, if Reset() fails.

Most times, you have not released all D3DPOOL_DEFAULT objects. Check out this recent topic.
Dustin Franklin ( circlesoft :: KBase :: Mystic GD :: ApolloNL )
All the resource I have are managed.
What's wrong with this code:

while (1)
{
if (PeekMessage(&msg, NULL, 0, 0, PM_REMOVE))
{
if (msg.message == WM_QUIT)
break;

TranslateMessage(&msg);
DispatchMessage(&msg);
} else {
ProcessInput();

HRESULT hr;
if (!IsIconic(g_hwnd)) {
while ((hr = g_D3DDev->TestCooperativeLevel()) ==
D3DERR_DEVICELOST)
Sleep(1);

if (hr == D3DERR_DEVICENOTRESET)
D3D_Reset(g_window_cx, g_window_cy);

D3D_Render();
}
}

and the same is for the WM_SIZE: ...

Thanks.
Maybe the problem looks weird. But how come no one in this big forum is able to figure it out??????

DXUT makes life easier for DX hobbyst - I know!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement