[SD] Screenshots

Started by
12 comments, last by superpig 18 years, 1 month ago
Do these pics with top down maps and such actually count as a second camera?
Advertisement
AFAIK, the mini-maps themselves are not enough. They have to be actually part of the gameplay to count for this competition.
Rim van Wersch [ MDXInfo ] [ XNAInfo ] [ YouTube ] - Do yourself a favor and bookmark this excellent free online D3D/shader book!
I just wanted to mention that an alternate view is simply just that: another perspective that lets you make informed decisions with the advantage of that view. If you say you cant have a minimap, then what is the point of any other view? Looking at some of the screenies, you would also have to remove any side views also, since it is the same concept (a larger simplified overview of the world). As a recommendation I would say you should include things in the secondary "minimap" view that you cannot see in the primary view (maybe hidden traps, ect..). This way the view become more functional for this competition. I am not taking part in this competition and I have not read all the guidlines, so I was just giving my 2 cents towards the above comments.
Quote:Original post by Anonymous Poster
I just wanted to mention that an alternate view is simply just that: another perspective that lets you make informed decisions with the advantage of that view. If you say you cant have a minimap, then what is the point of any other view? Looking at some of the screenies, you would also have to remove any side views also, since it is the same concept (a larger simplified overview of the world). As a recommendation I would say you should include things in the secondary "minimap" view that you cannot see in the primary view (maybe hidden traps, ect..). This way the view become more functional for this competition. I am not taking part in this competition and I have not read all the guidlines, so I was just giving my 2 cents towards the above comments.

You're pretty much spot on. The problem is that in the majority of games that use minimaps, most of the information that the player uses to make moment-to-moment decisions is presented by the main view. The minimap might give the player a hint as to where they should direct the main view, but it's generally much less useful in terms of information presented to the player.

If playing your game optimally means continually looking from view to view, and focusing more on one view than the other means that performance worsens, then you've got it right. It's a pretty hard thing to balance; if you get it wrong, you are unlikely to be disqualified (unless you get it really wrong) but your score may suffer.

Richard "Superpig" Fine - saving pigs from untimely fates - Microsoft DirectX MVP 2006/2007/2008/2009
"Shaders are not meant to do everything. Of course you can try to use it for everything, but it's like playing football using cabbage." - MickeyMouse

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement