What's happening with the site... Part II

Started by
17 comments, last by gregs 18 years ago
Quote:Original post by firesoft
Hi Roach.

I know I'm coming across as being a pain in the arse but it's just sad to see a leading edge site lose it's way. Many people have abandond the forum and a lot more sites have sprung up offering as much, if not more, in the way of tutorials.

I am glad that the site wasn't taken down by NeHe and I was happy to hear that GameDev was to take over. I'm just unhappy with the lack of information coming out of Gamedev on what is happening.

If you see my previous post here then you'll see the promises made by the staff to have the site updated months ago.

I think NeHe was more than just a OpenGL site for many. We saw the hard times that Jeff went through. (I can't honestly remember too many good times for him though) He seemed like a decent guy that was all about giving.

It would be a pity to lose all that.

I guess I should be like the rest and say nothing...

I apologise if I have offended or upset anyone over these posts. My aim was to get more attention to the site and hopefully get it updated sooner rather than later. Once again, sorry.

Please don't apologize for wanting Nehe to run again. We want to get it back up and going again too. Certainly, an update as to where the site is at is not too much to ask. Hopefully, everything will be settled soon, but in the meantime, if you are willing to help out with NeHe, there is certainly a need.
"Hello all you boys and girls,I'd like to take you to the inside world.It's quite an irregular place to be,but never fear, you're safe with me.. . . Well maybe.(for I am the Frizzlefry)"
Advertisement
Some of the issues concerning Nehe are the same exact concerns we are dealing with on Gamedev.net. Ultimately we want to make it possible to have a collaborative set of content editors and news editors to control publishing on Nehe as well as with Gamedev.net. The tools for that are currently in development. No ETA yet. However, evolutional and I certainly have this issue as one of our main priorities in addressing (technically it's the top issue, since it really solves four *big* problems with one set of code at once).

I will tell you flat out that on the software side we were just too busy and too understaffed with developers to devote much time to Nehe prior to February. But as of early February we started to change this, so you don't have to assume that we don't care about Nehe. It's not that our intentions weren't good.. but obviously good intentions doesn't get Nehe updated.

We will continue with it now until it is done.

---
Michael Tanczos
Well, in firefox the site is a bit weird now, because the hover-information over the links appears at another place than it should be.
Thanks
Hi Michael and frizzlefry.

I am happy to offer any help I can.

I am an ASP programmer so if you need help writing modules for the site then I can help there.

Otherwise I can help with the content management of the site. I do have to say that my OpenGL experience is very limited (actually I'm a "wanna-be" OpenGL programmer. Lots of books, very little experience [sad]).

All the best,
Tony
My NeHe SDK has been removed from the site. I take it that means you don't want me to update it [grin].
Now that we have administration, we should probably prepare a "What should we do with the site?" thread. I think firesoft deserves that honor :)

Cheers,
- llvllatrix
Thanks Matrix. I'll get right on it.

[cool]
@gregs - I was looking for your sdk the other day and was disappointed to not find it on the site. :( After looking for a while (I wanted it bad :)) I found that it is still downloadable from the NeHe top 10 downloads. So it is if anyone still wants it, thats where you can find it. (And the link still works at this time)
I *think* the most up to date version is at http://members.gamedev.net/gregs/nehe_sdk.zip. So if you have any problems, get it from here [grin]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement