[MDX] Sphere-Plane Collision

Started by
17 comments, last by xissburg 18 years, 1 month ago
but, its good to know how things work!!
Advertisement
Im getting a weird collision, but it might have something to do with the mesh itself. Im going to make a new mesh and see what happens...
Ive come to the conclusion that everything works except for the last test:

if (s >= 0 && t >= 0 && s + t <= 1)

My s + t is NOT <= 1!
but it must be. If s+t > 1 the point is outside the triangle. Look at this . it works as a vector summing:

v1+     +v0+(v1-v0)+(v2-v0)-> so,  s = 1 and t = 1, s+t > 1...point is outside  |    /  |   /  |  /  | /  |/vo+--------+v2

if s+t = 1, doesn't matter the values of s and t, the point will be on the segment v1 - v2
Right now Im really worried about one thing

I made two test meshes: one with textures and one without

To make my textures tile I apply a UWV map modifier

The mesh without textures had very good collision except i had to change the equation to >= instead of <=

The mesh with textures had no sense of collision detection whatsoever (however, i did not fully test it)

Could the UWV mapping somehow be interfearing with my vertex positions? :S
WooW lol :p

I really dont know...I dont use this method to get the triangles from my mesh :P...well, textures dont change the positions of the vertices...maybe there's something wrong in your code. an the UVW map modifier(are you using 3dsmax?!? :P) usually doesnt change anything on the vertex positions....
I am very close to achieving succesfull collision detection now, however, there is some slight error in the method. Since I hardly have any experience in this I am not able to figure out where exactly the error lies or in what context and cases the error occurs. However, I did manage to come to one conclusion: In a square room collusion only occurs when I hit the walls with a positive X or Z normal. There is most likely some typo in the vector manipulation in the algorithm :p

Could you please have a look :)

Thank you so much for your help!

(btw, I am now using s + t <= 1 and there was no interference with the verticies :P)
to collide with walls, you could check the y component of the normal of the triangle your sphere is penetrating(since earth gravity is (0.f, 9.81f, 0.f)...).

It the most simple method. for example, normal with a y component lower than 0.5. if the intersecting triangle has a normal with this property, you'll not be able to climb that triangle...something like that. I never developped a serious 1st person camera walking system, so I dont have many ideas about :/ ...I think, just think, that a good method would be using forces and friction but its more complex and large...

and one detail: I dont know if you are doing it but you can intersect more than one triangle at time, so pay attention to your code.
Hey...sorry!!

I've given you a wrong method to compute s and t!!confused with computing the distance between a point and a line :P...:(...I'll fix this now ;)

create two new vectors: uP which is perpendicular to both u and the triangle normal and vP which is perpendicular to both v and the triangle normal. To compute them:

uP = Vec3Cross(&u, &triangleNormal)
vP = Vec3Cross(&v, &triangleNormal)

Now, s and t will be:

s = Vec3Dot(&w, &uP) / Vec3Dot(&u, &uP);
t = Vec3Dot(&w, &vP) / Vec3Dot(&v, &vP);

Its just check if s>=0 && t>=1 && s+t<=1 is true and if yes the point is inside...

I hope theres nothing else wrong now :P...

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement