Is BlitzBasic a good language to start with?

Started by
12 comments, last by Rouge_Raven 18 years, 1 month ago
I have no experience with BlitzBasic, but considering that Grid Wars was coded in it, I would consider it a good game programming language. For beginners though, you might want to start with something like Python to teach you the basics of programming, logic, etc. Personally I started with PHP, but I don't recommend it.
"ok, pac man is an old gameand, there are faces which is eatin up shits" - da madface
Advertisement
You say a MMO is being written in BlitzBasic? Isnt a MMO Maker made in Blitz? RealmCraftor or something?
Quote:Original post by King of Men
The real question is, can you make a professional-quality hockey game in it?

I did get a great laugh out of that :-)

Question is, though: was it an appropriate post in the thread?

Anyway, to answer another post:

Quote:Sure, its fine but you're not going to be hired by anyone. Learn things from the bottom up with C++/Win32/dx.

If "getting hired" is your goal, go to college. Even with the best instructors, it takes many years to achieve a level of programming proficiency that would be sale-able at the high-end programming jobs you're probably thinking of. If it takes 10 years to achieve mastery (which is an estimate I've heard in several places), what language you use during the first three years is unlikely to matter.

My advice to a beginner would be to pick one that's easy to work with and gives you quick results, to keep the interest going. C++ and Win32 won't qualify on that list.
enum Bool { True, False, FileNotFound };
Falling Sky: Yup, RealmCrafter, but FYI this isn't being created through that.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement