Storm Chasing Game (MMORPG or Single player)

Started by
5 comments, last by Deleter 18 years, 1 month ago
Does any one think that a storm chasing game could be popular if done right?
In Development:Rise of Heros: MORPG - http:www.riseofheroesmmo.com
Advertisement
Be more explicit ^_^ It could be fun or it might not depending on the gameplay, a vague question is hard to answer. There's a shiny page that could be useful(look at point 1f) at http://www.gamedev.net/community/forums/showfaq.asp?forum_id=17
lol I really don't have a game design or anything in mind. This type of game has never been done before or atleast not that I have seen so I would like to get peoples feedback on it before I take the time to write up the game design document. Also I would like to get peoples thoughts on things that could be added to the game. I am big into weather and Natural disaster types of stuff and would like to see this type of game being made. I was thinking about something that would be so relistic that it could be used as like a training sim for FEMA or The American RedCross. You would have a choice of being a weather forcaster, Storm Spotter, Storm Chaser, or Emergency offical. Then each day there would be a chance of some type of Natural Disaster or Man Made disaster that you would have to respond to, chase, or forcast. Then things like en economy, skill building, and other things could also be added to make it fun. Thats just a rough idea and could be changed or whatever.
In Development:Rise of Heros: MORPG - http:www.riseofheroesmmo.com
Ideas dont really mean much to how much people will enjoy a game, what matters is how its made, the style, gameplay and general quality

Though making it a mmo would make it 2^n times more complecated and limate what you could do, i think a script driven or mission based single player would work a lot better for what your trying to describe
It's an interesting concept which could certainly be used in a game. I'm thinking it might lend itself quite nicely to some sort of puzzle game.

I don't see it as being a strong enough concept to carry an MMO though, but not every game has to be an MMO.
I think it would wind up being atrociously boring, if it was a sim. You could try making it into an action game, where you drive a suped-up offroad vehicle in a tornado and rescue floating, blinking orphans by running them over. That might be a fun physics game.

Maybe you could make it a balance of risk and reward. Your team of awesome dudes are trying to "collect data" on a contract basis for the government, and you get paid for the quality of your data. The closer you are to the storm, the faster your score increses, but if you get too close, your vehicle can be damaged or destroyed, which deletes your data (no paycheck) and costs money to replace. So you've got to guess where the storm is going, and use side roads to get toward or away from it without crashing or being overtaken or letting the storm get out of sensor range.

Buying fancier gear, tougher (or more novel) vehicles and satellite uplinks to follow the storm would enrich the game considerably. Every so often, have a storm threaten a city or trailer park, and give the player a "storm buster" device with damage proportional to the amount of data they've collected thus far and make them chase the storm around and zap it until it dissipates, then award an amount of money and medals inversely proportional to the damage the storm does.
I have to agree with Iron Chef Carnage. If you make this an action SP game, or possible networked (but not MMO) it could be really fun. If you throw in enough twists and turns (and twisters!) and some type of advancement for the player to achieve it could indeed be a popular game. Obviously I would either set this in a slight future where the weather has gone screwy and you have to chase tornadoes to get info or something (the player doesnt care too much about the info, the main game is storm chasing!), or there would be an efficent time lapse thing so that there wasn't too much if any downtime.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement