[.net] Vista and the .NET Framework

Started by
12 comments, last by capn_midnight 18 years, 1 month ago
Microsoft definitely uses .NET. The new Hotmail beta is written in .NET, as is Avalon (Windows Presentation Foundation) and Indigo (Windows Communication Foundation). The new XPS document format is entirely .NET. Visual Studio is partially written in .NET (just take a look at all the assemblies it installs, and the 2005 refactoring UI is a .NET form, as is the 2003 C#/VB.NET project properties). SQL Server 2005 lets you write stored procedures in a .NET language. Monad is written in .NET.

It's really bizarre when people think Microsoft is afraid of using .NET. That's not what I'm seeing at all.

Advertisement
Big deal. How much of Solaris is written in Java?

(my byline from the Gamedev Collection series, which I co-edited) John Hattan has been working steadily in the casual game-space since the TRS-80 days and professionally since 1990. After seeing his small-format games turned down for what turned out to be Tandy's last PC release, he took them independent, eventually releasing them as several discount game-packs through a couple of publishers. The packs are actually still available on store-shelves, although you'll need a keen eye to find them nowadays. He continues to work in the casual game-space as an independent developer, largely working on games in Flash for his website, The Code Zone (www.thecodezone.com). His current scheme is to distribute his games virally on various web-portals and widget platforms. In addition, John writes weekly product reviews and blogs (over ten years old) for www.gamedev.net from his home office where he lives with his wife and daughter in their home in the woods near Lake Grapevine in Texas.

They are obviously not commited to actually coding the new OS features in pure managed code (probably due to time constraints, and problems that arise which they already know how to solve in unmanaged situations) ... but they are commited to providing a .NET API to the entire API. It may not work out that way (time constraints and all), but the MS goal that has not wavered is that a programmer should be able to write a 100% managed .NET program for Windows Vistas native library, and have access to every OS feature they could need (obviously you won't have access to every feature in cases where the new API replaces an old, they are highly unlikely to provide .NET access to the older depricated API) ...

For instance their Managed DirectX initiative shows how they most likely intend to do this ... an API that is by its nature unmanaged, but going forward with an eye towards managed clients.

It is not just that they have backed up due to cost or other reasons either ... part of it has to do with client demands - The .NET comminitity can and does consume COM objects all the time, and provide wrappers around C APIs very easily - the COM and C communities do not however have similar ease of translation from APIs that would be built using advanced .NET features (reflection anyone?).

So the only way MS can really please everyone is to provide the dual access system - whichever way they implement the internals.
Quote:Original post by johnhattan
Big deal. How much of Solaris is written in Java?

Solaris is funny. It has to be the worst system I've ever had to write Java code for.

[Formerly "capn_midnight". See some of my projects. Find me on twitter tumblr G+ Github.]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement