memset question

Started by
24 comments, last by LessBread 18 years, 1 month ago
Original post by Anonymous Poster
Quote:Original post by Adam Hamilton
I'm sure this was an edit cause some of it wasn't there when you first posted... Seems kinda childish to go back an edit a post and add insult to injury after I had apoligised.

Curious though AP... My post was refering to the childishness of adding insult to injury *after* an apology from me to him.

Do you think I added insult to injury???

I know what hypocrysy is but I don't think what you are refering to qualifies.... I am disappointed that you did not understand what my above quoted post meant.
Advertisement
Who is the childish one?

Someone who realises they have maybe sounded rash, edited their post sounding not mean and owned up to editing their post

or

Someone who posts something slamming them (which was warranted) reading an apology and then edits their post filling it with nastyness.

or

Someone who slams someone without provocation.

or

Someone who keeps on about being rated negatively.

Quote:
Come on... I think the latter is more childish.

This is the internet. We can't see whether your tongue is in your cheek or your foot is in your mouth. I only ever saw the "nasty" version of bakery2k1's post, which is obviously copying the form and tone of one of your own posts directed at him. Why would you expect someone to kindly point out your mistake after you less than kindly pointed out theirs? (His first post was certainly more tactful than your response.)

As for apologizing, check out this thread. My first attempt at an apology practically fell on deaf ears. Sometimes you just have to let things go and move on. (Although, it can be hard sometimes. [sad])
This is going nowhere...

Moral of forum posting....Apologies are not welcome because no-one cares

you could try using inline assembly

You must use this with multiple of 4 bytes. There are tricks so that you can do this with any number of bytes.

This will be nice and fast.

push es
push edi

les edi, buffer
mov eax, color
mov ecx, count
rep stosd

pop edi
pop es

If you don't need to support PII systems, you can use an even faster method than using the well-known REPMOVSB. The method I'm talking about uses the MOVNTQ instruction and can copy more than 500 MB/s. It'd be even easier to implement this approach since you're working with groups of four bytes. P4s even have the MOVNTI instruction.

Quote:I'm sure this was an edit cause some of it wasn't there when you first posted... Seems kinda childish to go back an edit a post and add insult to injury after I had apoligised.

Quote:Bakery2k1 on the other hand basically read my apology and decided to edit his post and make it sound much more nasty

Quote:My post was refering to the childishness of adding insult to injury *after* an apology from me to him.

I didn't edit to "add insult to injury", I edited my post to add another comment - that not only do you not need to touch es, actually doing so will crash your application. Also, I made the edit _before_ you posted your apology (or at least simultaneously - I definitely made the edit before I read the apology).

Quote:I only ever saw the "nasty" version of bakery2k1's post, which is obviously copying the form and tone of one of your own posts directed at him.

Exactly. If your post had been "I beleive you do have to change the value in es, because..." then I would have kindly explained why that is not necessary. Instead, I read a post which baselessly accuses me of not "knowing anything about assembler", and I must say that that hit a nerve.

Your post insulted me without provocation and if you go around doing that you should expect to be rated down and to receive responses in a similar tone.
How about setting aside the bickering before I close the thread?
"I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend I was one of those deaf-mutes." - the Laughing Man

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement