Making RTS games

Started by
8 comments, last by TheKnight 18 years, 1 month ago
I'm considering going to ITT to study game design and then going to work in the game industry (more than likely as a programmer...) and I've messed around a little with game making applications before. (like RPG Maker, FPS Creator) I had started working on stuff from the 3d Programming All in One series but the trials ran out on the software and I don't think I'm much fore spending a grand getting the full versions. So, seince there are so many FPS games on the market, I thought it would be nice to back off a bit from that and try out some RTS games. However, I cannot find anything on how to make them, other than being told to make them in C++ from the ground up. I was wondering if any of you have any idea where to get an RTS maker? I'd perfer to begin with something structured and fundimental before going into the deeper stuff.
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by TheKnight
I was wondering if any of you have any idea where to get an RTS maker? I'd perfer to begin with something structured and fundimental before going into the deeper stuff.

The only RTS maker that exists is the RTS Starter Kit (Indie License) to be used with the Torque Game Engine. It will cost a total of $100(engine) + $50(addon) though.

If you need resources on RTS development, here are a few posts with lots of info, so take a look:
RTS Game Programming Tutorials
Where to start for RTS games?
Resource Shuttling in RTS Games
RTS Needs
Machinations (open source rts)

Hope you can find something useful, Good luck!
Hm...I could buy that Torque thing...I guess the engine would be worth it cus it would also work with the other books in his series.

I might also go for the other one on how to make games from the ground up in C++...maybe the skills there will impress someone in the game industry and they'll hire me out of college.
I wouldn't recommend "ITT Technical Institute", but it's just my personal opinion, and I've never even considered visiting their campuses. There are lots of commercials for ITT and other similar 'schools' that put flashy advertisements in your face to make it seem reputable and 'the hot place to be'. The only school I would consider recommending someone to for 'game development' would be Digipen. Other than that, if you want a solid career, go to a real 4-year college and get a bachelors degree.
Hm Digipen looks interesting...more specialized than ITT, perhaps thats a good thing.
Plus, I've actually heard of people going from Digipen -> game development job. I've heard much less of that from Full Sail (in fact, I went through a bunch of interviews for game programming recently, and more than a few people had negative things to say about people touting a fullsail background), and have never heard of success from ITT. Maybe I just don't know enough people ;)
Eh I dunno I never took calculus...guess that sorta counts me out.
I had at one point considered the Art Institute but they don't seem to offer Game Programing and Game Art and Design classes at the same school anymore, and my friend and I refuse to split as she and I disire to stick together to maximize our potentials and our chances of getting into the industry. (She's for game art/modeling/that stuff, I'm going to get stuck programming)
Quote:Original post by TheKnight then going to work in the game industry (more than likely as a programmer...) <inter-post snip> I'm going to get stuck programming

Are you sure you want to be a programmer? If you don't enjoy it I can tell you it's going to be a lot harder to be successful at it and even if you do get good, what's it matter if you don't like it? Are you more of an artist-type and you just decided to be a programmer because your buddy is an artist and you wanted to be a duo, or are you genuinely fascinated with coding?

(Why did I use nothing but question marks?!)
It only takes one mistake to wake up dead the next morning.
I enjoy being questioned actually.

Well, I do somewhat enjoy programming, its just I find the tutorials on C++ I use at cplusplus.com (My schools AP class teaches only Java, C++ is only tought for about the last 3 months in the first year of programming classes) kind of dull, even though they do tell me how to do things I need to know.

I'm sort of the type that likes to see the big picture, then break it down into the smaller concepts and down further into the code. AI programming is a particular interest to me as well I believe, but all the things I've found about it are not for my brains and appear to only be understandable to the top 5% of MIT's Computer Science graduates or something like that.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement