help with Sams Teach Yourself Game Programming in 24 Hours

Started by
14 comments, last by GameDev.net 18 years, 1 month ago
What is wrong with the sams book series? I think that it is a decent startup for people who have experience but want to move to another language. They just read the book and know pretty the basics of that new language. Most of the language work the same, though, so you just need to know the new syntax
------------Something useful could be written here...
Advertisement
OK here's a tip. Do NOT use that book. I've used it, and it is rubbish. Once it gets to sprites, you need to download the code unless you have the CD. That wouldn't be a problem but it dosen't explain the code properly after that, so you can't learn to program 2D games properly independently.
Regardz,UnknoneCheck out my site! Click Here!
By the way, why does everyone make the assumption that "EBook" means pirated? I can see the connection, but why does everyone make the assumption? Just asking...
Regardz,UnknoneCheck out my site! Click Here!
Quote:Original post by Unknone
OK here's a tip. Do NOT use that book. I've used it, and it is rubbish. Once it gets to sprites, you need to download the code unless you have the CD. That wouldn't be a problem but it dosen't explain the code properly after that, so you can't learn to program 2D games properly independently.

I find the book rather good.

The good is pretty self explanatory and he does do a good enough job of explaining it. As I said ive modified it to run off of Allegro instead of GDI.
By the way, why does everyone make the assumption that "EBook" means pirated? I can see the connection, but why does everyone make the assumption? Just asking...

E-Books are very easy to pirate, but oftentimes people who do so are lacking materials that accompany them, so they try to ask here to have them provided.
Quote:Original post by Run_The_Shadows

E-Books are very easy to pirate, but oftentimes people who do so are lacking materials that accompany them, so they try to ask here to have them provided.

Not to mention large technical ebooks are quite a pain to read especially coding ones. Most sane people would rather buy a hard copy then buy an ebook copy.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement