[web] Starting web programming

Started by
16 comments, last by demonkoryu 18 years ago
Quote:Original post by Pipo DeClown
I think &#106avascript is being underestimated. It can do lots of handy effects, not just memory hogging bullshit effects. Primarily useful are the scripts that make certain parts of a page (dis)appear when mouseover-ed or clicked on (&#106avascript + CSS). It makes navigating a website/cropping information to a small field much easier.<br><br>I would recommend Flash for highquality media, especially when you're dealing with short videoclips. Java should be left alone unless you're making a serious applet like a game for example.<!--QUOTE--></td></tr></table></BLOCKQUOTE><!--/QUOTE--><!--ENDQUOTE--><br><br>That's what I was about to say, what happened to &#106avascript.<br>So many things can be done with &#106avascripts.
Advertisement
What's stopping my motivation the most for learning &#106avascript is it so non cross-browser compliant. <br><br>I mean, I don't want to write my code 3 times for the same thing..
Quote:Original post by Tynnhammar
What's stopping my motivation the most for learning &#106avascript is it so non cross-browser compliant.

I mean, I don't want to write my code 3 times for the same thing..

It's not as bad as some people make it seem.

The language is the same - same syntax and same features in all major browsers - it's just that the DOM differs from browser to browser which makes manipulating your pages some hassle.

Even then - that situation has improved in the latest generation of browser. These days you realy only have to worry about problem if you choose to use browser specific object members, like object.visibilty instead of object.style.display.

Quote:Original post by Tradone
So many things can be done with &#106avascripts.<!--QUOTE--></td></tr></table></BLOCKQUOTE><!--/QUOTE--><!--ENDQUOTE--><br>&lt;shamelessplug&gt;<a href="http://www.humblesiden.dk/kasper/snake.html">Yeah,</a> tell me <a href="http://www.humblesiden.dk/kasper/tetris.html">about</a> it.&lt;/shamelessplug&gt;<br><br>The great thing about it is that the &#111;nly browser specific thing in those is the way the key events are initialised.
Don't Temp Fate..
Actually, the DOM is the same across all modern browsers. The odd one out - Netscape 4 - has been dead for years now. Quirks Mode is an excellent site for resolving any remaining cross-browser oddities.
Quote:Original post by Tynnhammar
What's stopping my motivation the most for learning &#106avascript is it so non cross-browser compliant. <br><br>I mean, I don't want to write my code 3 times for the same thing..<!--QUOTE--></td></tr></table></BLOCKQUOTE><!--/QUOTE--><!--ENDQUOTE--><br><br>I ignore firefox, opera, modzilla.<br>
Use Flash for games.
Use Java for apps.
Use XHTML/CSS/&#106avascript for everything else.<br><br>My '2 cents'.
Use &#106avascript and XHTML/CSS for web sites.
Quote:Original post by Tradone
I ignore firefox, opera, modzilla.

Are you kidding??

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement