Engine Choice...(for mod)

Started by
-1 comments, last by Tonedef 18 years, 1 month ago
Well I am designing a mod...getting pretty deep into it now and I have reached the point of deciding what engine I will use. Right now I am really torn between Source (HL2), UE3 (UT2k7), or CryEngine2 (Crysis). Now I have no plans to start the production of the mod soon, so time is not an issue...but there are some design things I really need to decide on based on the engine I choose. Such as, level sizes(i.e. UE3 will support seamless levels, CryEngine has huge enviroments and Source is medium sized), target PC specs, and visual eliments used (i.e. Displacement maps, polycounts). All I will say about the mod is that it is a tactical realism shooter. And while that may seem generic, to give you an idea of what it is aimed to be like, think Raindow Six (original), and Ghost Recon. So with that said...what engine do you think would be the better target? Think as though you were working on it. Give some reasons why...and feel free to pipe in about what you may like to see in this genre. Here are the options again and reasons I may want them:
  • Source Engine (HL2, CS:S, DoD:S)
    • Familiarity
    • Large Community
    • Support
    • Graphical style (don't know how to explain it other than the Source look)
  • Unreal Engine 3 (Unreal Tournament 2007, Gears of War)
    • Next Generation
    • Large Community
    • Graphical Capabilities
    • Net code
    • Seamless levels, allowing very LARGE areas
  • CryEngine 2 (Crysis)
    • Huge open landscapes
    • Graphical capabilities
    • Destructible...everything
    • Day/Night cycle

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement