about my tree

Started by
13 comments, last by Jarrod1937 18 years, 1 month ago
Well, you can also make a bit good looking trees with 30 polys...

This trees i have done, use only 30polys and a 128*128map per tree...

screen0.jpg
Advertisement
You can render the tree from different angles, then paste the renders as textures onto a simpler model to make it more workable as a game object.

I want to help design a "sandpark" MMO. Optional interactive story with quests and deeply characterized NPCs, plus sandbox elements like player-craftable housing and lots of other crafting. If you are starting a design of this type, please PM me. I also love pet-breeding games.

If you do want to make a forest of those its possible but I suggest you use some sort of adaptive degradation, to do this you simply find some way to reduce the number of polygons and make multiple models staring with your best one and ending with the most poly reduced one, then make it choose a model to draw depending on the distance from the camera, so when you look at one close to you it looks good but one off in the distance is a chopped up mess but hope the player cant tell from said distance
i've been able to make a pine tree model with 12 polys, you just have to learn to be creative with your alpha textures and polygons. as for the type of tree you're trying to make, it could be done with about 400-800 polys porbably, i just don't see how you got 6396... try to optimize the cylinders a bit more i guess. another trick is to make the branches out of 1-3 planes with a well thoughtout/placed branch texture and use that for your branches. the techniques for you to use kind of vary with the models use and viewing angle.
-------------------------Only a fool claims himself an expert
edit: damn server lag....
-------------------------Only a fool claims himself an expert

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement