can enter a job from another country

Started by
3 comments, last by gamer_umut 18 years ago
Hi.I want to ask you,if ım good at programming,can ı work at a job in another country?with joining them with webcam example?ım in turkey,and maybe ı will later work in this kind of job later(example,ı will work for an american company).İs there anything like this? [Edited by - gamer_umut on June 14, 2008 1:42:23 PM]
Advertisement
Some companies do work with distributed teams (people not in the same city, state or country). It is generally for smaller projects such as mobile, hand-held, web based games etc. It becomes much harder for large console/PC titles just because of the level of communication necessary. However, you will most likely need to have some proven experience making games if you want companies to trust you to work at a distance.
Dan Marchant - Business Development Consultant
www.obscure.co.uk
As Obscure says; outsourcing is an option. If this is something you want to do, though:

- Clean up the English. I know it's not your first language, but if you want to work remotely, it should be a high priority to write and speak English to a high level of fluency.

- Get stuff out. Obscure's point about track-record counts 10x when you're hiring freelancers.. we only do that when the risks associated with the project is damn low. That means you need to prove ability to deliver, either by finishing and selling your own projects (no, a handfull of abadoned tech-demos doesn't count), or by going overseas and working for an established developer for a couple of years.

- Build connections. Getting freelance work is 90% networking, 10% ability; while you are expected to prove that you have the skills (see above), you still need to work continously at building a network of people who can help feed you new projects.

You're operating at a disadvantage operating out of Turkey right now; since there is no real industry there, you cannot build the experience and connections you badly need to make the move into freelancing. If moving overseas for a couple of years isn't possible, you're basically forced to work on shipping titles in low cost environments (mobile, web, casual), while networking continously (look at IGDA, GDC, core mailing lists on topics that interest you, etc.. these days there's a lot of networking building that can be done virtually).

Good luck,
Allan
------------------------------ BOOMZAPTry our latest game, Jewels of Cleopatra
Quote:Original post by gamer_umut
...ım in turkey...

Read this - http://www.igda.org/columns/gamesgame/gamesgame_Aug04.php

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

thank you very much..so,ı wont enter a game company arent it?also,ı think time zone will be another problem.example if its morning in turkey,its night in america arent it?so,ı'll wait or do smt myself in Turkey.Anyway,there is 3-4 groups trying to make a game in Turkey.And there is a real game project called "sovereign symphony".But I still wait your opinions.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement