Help the super noob for C++ Windows Programming

Started by
8 comments, last by StephenSaw 18 years ago
I'm C++ windows programming super noob, and I using VC++ 6.0 to start. Can someone here give me the step by step to develop my windows application? simple one will do. I tried search for Internet, but, luck no good, haven't found any yet till now. And I'm confused whether to create a empty C++ Source file to start with or create a Win32 Application which it added extra coding? Thanks Alot.
Advertisement
I wouldn't use VC 6, get a copy of VS 2005 Express and the platform SDK. The compiler is much better.

As for creating a Win32 application, have a look around Google, it's got some stuff. You could create the standard Win32 application and edit it, or you could start from scratch, there's no real difference.
If your serious about learning, you'll prolly want to start from scratch :-) The typical "Hello, World" type program for Win32 is to get a MessageBox popping up, and then move onto a window.
Steven ToveySPUify | Twitter
I learned a little about windows programming from this site: http://www.winprog.org/tutorial/index.html

check it out.
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. – Leonardo da Vinci
ya, I did some reading on http://www.winprog.org/tutorial/index.html also, but from the first example of creating the pop up dialog, I started to get confused, is it using empty C++ class to do so? Or using the Win32 Application? But using Win32 application will auto generate extra coding that I don't understand.

Yes, I would like to start from scracth. Is it the coding in VS.NET C++ different from VC++ 6.0? Because last time I used, it don't even have (maybe I don't know) the #include , so I was confused by VC++ .NET with my C++ books.

I want to learn programming as a based for my C++ Game Programming, I bought a book, called "Beginning Game Programming" by SAMS, blue cover. And from the very beginning, I don't understand the windows programming part, so I can't move on, so I decided to start from windows programming first.

Thanks guy, thanks for such fast reply.
Quote:Original post by Anonymous Poster
ya, I did some reading on http://www.winprog.org/tutorial/index.html also, but from the first example of creating the pop up dialog, I started to get confused, is it using empty C++ class to do so? Or using the Win32 Application? But using Win32 application will auto generate extra coding that I don't understand.

Yes, I would like to start from scracth. Is it the coding in VS.NET C++ different from VC++ 6.0? Because last time I used, it don't even have (maybe I don't know) the #include , so I was confused by VC++ .NET with my C++ books.

I want to learn programming as a based for my C++ Game Programming, I bought a book, called "Beginning Game Programming" by SAMS, blue cover. And from the very beginning, I don't understand the windows programming part, so I can't move on, so I decided to start from windows programming first.

Thanks guy, thanks for such fast reply.

This is me, I don't know why I appear as Anonymous user

If you create a Win32 application, then goto the options and tell it to generate an empty application, you don't get all the crap.

VS2003, VS2005 and VC6 are very similar, you don't have to use .NET with 2003 or 2005 at all. If you get VS2005, you also need the platform SDK (Probably what you meant about not having the #includes).
Quote:Original post by Anonymous Poster

Win32 is C, so no classes are involved. Just choose an empty Win32 Application and follow the tutorials @ winprog and msdn.

Quote:

What do you mean by "it doesn't have the #include"? I'm guessing your compiler told you it couldn't find any include files? If so, this can be solved by installing the Platform SDK. VC++ 2005 comes without most headers and libs.
You can find the Platform SDK @ msdn.

I hope this helps!

If you want to get to grips with the Windows API Stephen, I suggest you read, what is in my opinion, the BEST book on the subject:

Programming Windows - By Charles Petzold

The Windows API is a VAST subject, with 1000's of function calls, types and structures.

If you're really serious about pursuing this, then be prepared to give it some time. You won't learn it over night.

The GREAT thing about Petzold's book, is that it virtually covers ALL aspects of the API (the major ones anyway) and it's easy to read style takes you from one easy lesson, to the next.

Work through the book day by day, and I guarantee you that by the end of the first month, you'll be creating windows in your sleep.

As a teacher I can say with some authority that good books make the BEST teachers, and this book by far, is one of the best.
Thanks TerrorFLOP, the book you recommended was just nice. Thanks all. I will back here again if I encounter problem during learning windows programming.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement